• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Alma Russel Group, July 7-14

Gerhardt

Paddler
Alma Russel Group - July 7-14

Anyone interested in the Alma Russel Group, July 7-14? It's between the Broken Group and Deer Group. Two years ago I met two guys in a double with a dog on their deck. They beat the crowds by by passing the Broken Group and said they found a good campsite in the Alma Russel Islands. We may cross Imperial Eagle Channel to the Deer Group as well.

Gerhardt

Hi Gerhardt,

maybe i can meet you in the middle of your trip. i am planning to go to the Deer Group on July 9th.

Where exactly is the Alma Russel Group? i have to confess, i have never heard of that group. :oops:

servus :wink:

Willi

Barkley Sound in July

Willi,

That would be great. I'll put a map in my website to show the Alma Russel Islands. I suggest a radio check at 8:00pm on the 10th to see if we can make contact. I don't know if they get cell coverage in Barkley Sound. There might be a tower in Uclulet to cover that area. Are you planning to camp anywhere in particlular in the Deer Group?

Gerhardt

Paddling out from Toquart Bay last year I had no problem reaching Batstar on his cell phone from mine. He was on Clarke Island. So, cell coverage is quite good in that area. I'm not sure about Bamfield but I'd assume there's a cell tower in Ucluelet.

Gerhardt,

just joined your group, great idea! :p

I have camped on Ross and Stud Isletes, paddled around Flemina and Tzartus
two years ago, this year i would love to camp on Diana and visit the outher islands, maybe even cross the Imarial Eagle Channel over to the Broken Group and catch the Frances Barkley back to Port Alberni, weather permitting.

I dont have a cell phone, a VHF radio check on June 10th sounds great, this is the way to go, i met Mark and Art this way last year in the Broken Group.

Can you make it for the long weekend trip in the Gulf Islands July 6th to 8th, maybe even for a day?

let us hear more about your planned trip! :wink:

servus,

Willi

July trips

Hey guys,

Thanks for the updates on cell coverage!

Willi,

I understand that you are going to meet up with some other folks in the Gulf Islands July 6-8 and then go to Bamfield to head into the Deer Group. I'll have to talk to my partner but that sounds great to me. Felicity gets lonely for female company so if some women are coming that would be even better.

If anyone is interested, I have made a first attempt at publishing topo maps with waypoints / landmarks of interest to sea kayakers. It's still under construction but the idea is shaping up. I am going to move most of the maps to the associated Google Group where I can get 100GB free disk space. I welcome feedback and shared waypoints.

See RavenWoods.ca

Gerhardt

westcoastwill said:
I have camped on Ross and Stud Islets, paddled around Fleming and Tzartus two years ago, this year i would love to camp on Diana and visit the outer islands, maybe even cross the Imperial Eagle Channel over to the Broken Group and catch the Frances Barkley back to Port Alberni, weather permitting.Willi
Hell of a trip, Willi. Did I already send you info about campsites on Diana? Three or four decent spots, one of them (inside Kirby Point) is on First Nations land, but is very nice. Worth the CDN$10/night tariff, collected by Doreen every day from her skiff.

Imperial Eagle Channel is serious stuff. Start early, before the wind kicks up!

Here are two fotos from our trip in the Deer Group 2004.

Willi2.jpg

Willi1.jpg

Thanks for your warning on the imperial eagle crossing, Dave, i will see how the weather is and how Gerhardts plans work out with mine.

servus

Willi :wink:

Gerhardt, how are your plans for Alma Russel and Deer Group working out?

Dont miss that mile long white sandy beach at Hesquiat Harbour! I have hiked from Escalante Point to Coogar Annies garden ( Lake Hesquiate) in 2005.

:wink:

Willi

Deer Group / Alma Russel July 7 - 14

We will be there Willi. I may be taking a river rescue course on July 8-9. If I do we will go directly to the Deer Group and camp on King Edward Island. One way or the other, we'll be out there July 10-14 and I'm hoping to meet up with you. Where are you planning to camp? Pick a rendevouz point/time for Tues July 11 in the Deer Group and I'll be there.

Gerhardt

Great, Gerhardt, i will be either on King or Diana, i have a VHF radio, we can get in contact easy!:wink:

I have to go back to Bamfield on Thursday, Junly 12th. :(

At least, we can paddle for a couple of days together!:p

servus

Willi

alma russell group

I plan to meet up with Gerhardt in the Alma Russell group on Mon July 09th. I'll be putting in at Toquart bay in the afternoon if anyone is interested in joining me.

Back