Almost a trip . . . Indian Arm, BC

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by pawsplus, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Man in qajaq

Man in qajaq Paddler

To tame the panic I also practice holding my breath underwater as long as I can then roll up. To add to the 'game' we call "hang out then roll" i also will drop my paddle and pull out the spare paddle , (or norsaq) to recover.

2. jamonte

jamonte Paddler

Another good way to practice unexpected braces and rolls is with an "assistant" standing behind you in the water. Start off with bracing practice. By grabbing your stern, your assistant can flip your boat right or left... and you don't know what's coming next since they are standing behind you. They can also lift or sink your stern to add even more instability.

Start off gently, but if the paddler is doing well (and protecting their shoulders with good technique!), the assistant can get increasingly more aggressive until the paddler flips. Now, the assistant can hold the boat to prevent it from rolling up (in order to make the paddler wait or switch sides), or they can lift or sink the stern to add more difficulty. Or you can let them roll up, but then slam them right back over again before they have a chance to catch their breath.

When I've played this game in the past, we usually allow the paddler to roll up on their third attempt, but this is a "make your own rules" kind of game. Also, you can put a second assistant at the bow of the boat to make your practice session feel like a real-life beat down. Brian Schulz used to have a great name for this type of practice, but I can't remember what he called it.

3. dvfrggr

dvfrggr Paddler

Pawsplus. I tamed my lizard in the surf zone.....
    You will get dump, hard and crazy and you will get sick of missing your roll and your buddies asking you " why didn't roll up"
    You always get washed to shore, exhausted and tired.
    Sounds like you've got a lot of great rolls and there's a lot of motivation in the surf to become "bombproof" good luck with your lizard!
    Dave
    Rats.... I forgot your no where near the surf where you live........ if your near rivers, whitewater kayaking is even better, once again it gets real old missing rolls on the river and lots to motivation to tame that thing :)

4. nootka

nootka Paddler

Jamonte, that is a good exercise, but you need to choose your "assistant" carefully.
    I pulled some rib muscles when an "ass****" deliberately held me down.

5. drahcir

drahcir Paddler

Nootka:
    Presumably "ass*****" stands for "assassin"?

nootka likes this.
  6. designer

designer Paddler

There's a great (old) rolling video that mentions the importance of a good assistant. In the video. after the paddler flips, the "instructor" starts chatting with some ladies in the pool and forgets his responsibility while the paddler, upside down, is pounding the sides of her kayak for assistance.

On my second or third attempt, I try to "channel" Joann. Joann was a woman in our rolling class who had this so smooth, slow (no panic hurry) technique. I would just watch in amazement at how graceful it looked. So I try to play that movie back in my mind - with me staring as "Joann".

7. Tangler

Tangler Paddler

Great report.
    Sounds like you had quite an adventure.
    Next time you are in Canada (you are very welcome) remember that private property does not just end at the high tide line, it ends at the historical high high tide line so if the high tide is low enough you could even camp on the beach.
    I always found that rolling in the surf was best done after the wave let me go and I was in essentially a small swimming pool between waves. Occasionally the waves had different ideas...

8. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Sorry that turned into such an epic. But glad that everything eventually got sorted out. One detail you may have forgotten: when we were doing rolling practice, you did a couple of wet exits, and were remarking on how cold our Canadian water was, even with your drysuit on. And then when we got to shore and checked your drysuit zip it was open just enough to have downflooded when you were swimming. No one does their best roll when they're wet and cold!

9. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Yeah--no surf where I am. So I just get to surf a few times a year. :( Whitewater isn't doable in a Pilgrim Exp. LOL.

10. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Yes, that didn't help! My feet were full of water by the end! Thanks for providing an excuse LOL.

Worked with my friend on Sat and we tried a number of things. I will add trying to dump me so I can work on bracing and then rolling next time. Rolling is so weird. Last time I was able to do the Norsaq so well that I was confident doing it w/ no one in the water next to the boat. Then on Sat, no go. Got it, but with extra swipes. Not good. I hate it when a roll is at that "sometimes" stage!

11. nootka

nootka Paddler

Here's a Pilgrim Expedition PilgrimAtSurge.png

12. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

That's surf, not WW. WW, around here anyway, is in rivers full of rocks with sharp turns. You can't do that in anything but a WW boat--at least not if you care about your boat!

I have surfed my boat and will again. But when you are 9 hours from the ocean and financially challenged, that doesn't happen more than a few times a year. So it's impossible to get much practice at it!

13. nootka

nootka Paddler

It's not surf, it's a standing wave.

A standing wave in a river isn't much different than a standing wave in a tiderace.
    Except it's probably busier in the summer - a standing wave in a river is the local play spot.

And I've twice taken my Telkwa through Redgrave canyon on the Columbia River - big waves, rocks you can avoid, no sharp corners. rapids.jpg You just have to find a suitable stretch of river.
    https://frenchbroadpaddle.com/trip-suggestion/

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  14. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Yes, but WW = ROCKS. You aren't seriously suggesting taking a sea kayak into the Ocoee, are you? B/c that's just crazy. ????

15. nootka

nootka Paddler

are you aware WW has classes 1 to 6?

Class II:
    Novice Straightforward rapids with wide, clear channels which are evident without scouting. Occasional maneuvering may be required, but rocks and medium-sized waves are easily avoided by trained paddlers. Swimmers are seldom injured and group assistance, while helpful, is seldom needed. Rapids that are at the upper end of this difficulty range are designated Class II+.
    Wikipedia

16. jamonte

jamonte Paddler

Paws, I am HUGE fan of sea kayakers taking basic WW classes as a way to solidify boat handling skills and learn a true combat roll, and the Nantahala Outdoor Center on the Ocoee would be a great place to start if you're ever interested in giving it a try. But... I would definitely not give it a go in your Pilgrim!!! (The Upper Ocoee is Class III-IV while the Middle section is Class III+.)

What Nootka is suggesting is perfectly fine, but it takes a big, deep river with minimal hazards to make a good practice spot for sea kayaks. A friend of my sister's (in Iowa) died earlier this year playing around below a low head dam in a sea kayak, and he was a VERY solid sea kayaker. Anyhow, I can't recommend WW highly enough for developing your skills. I have a half dozen friends who began as sea kayakers, took WW classes to improve their skills, and never looked back! I still love both.

17. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Look guys, I'm aware of all that. I live in WW land, remember? The local club does nothing else. I have investigated every single option available to me. But I do not have time to deal with the whole shuttle mess that WW requires, nor the money for another boat. I happily take my boat on class I rivers, but that's it. I had to sell nearly everything I owned to afford this boat and I am taking no risks with it. Please don't argue with me about it.

I took a WW class a few years back over on the Ocoee when I was learning to roll. It was interesting, but did nothing for my rolling (I finally discovered Greenland rolling and that is my happy place) and to do it seriously would require a new boat and a huge time investment. Neither is an option. I'm doing as much as I am financially able and have time for.

18. AM

AM Paddler

Pawsplus, you have been given a ton of free advice by some super experienced people on this board. Not all of it will work for you, granted, but it's given in good faith. The friendly response would be, "Hey, thanks for that. I'll think about it."

nootka likes this.
  19. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

And I appreciate it. But I have investigated the WW thing quite thoroughly over the last 5 years and I've said that before. :)

20. jamonte

jamonte Paddler

Sorry, Paws. You mentioned kayaking the Ocoee in your reply to Nootka. Since the Ocoee is a well-known whitewater river, it seemed appropriate to reply with information about whitewater lessons.