Alternative Canister Fuel.

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by DarenN, Jan 19, 2009.

1. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

100% butane lighter fluid can be used for fuel on canister type stoves. warm weather only, though, unless your burner has a preheat tube like this one does.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Daren.........

2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

That's good to know.

I once had to warm up a GAZ Bluet cannister in my sleeping bag to get any breakfast, after stupidly leaving the stove overnight in the snow, at maybe -5 C. I think we could not get any pressure at all out of that cannister, though, so how would the liquid butane get to the preheat tube at -5 C? Am I missing something?

3. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

there will still be pressure in the canister, Dave, but the problem is that butane boils at -5C, so unless the canister is warmer than that, you have only liquid fuel getting to the burner. this requires the preheat tube so that the flame heats the incoming fuel to it's boiling point. this is also a problem with regular canisters in colder weather. the propane in the mix boils off first leaving only butane in the canister.

Roger Caffin has done a lot of testing with liquid feed canister stoves over at bushwalking.org.

Daren......

4. nootka

nootka Paddler

5. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

6. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

big error! :( and nothing more than another damn typo. sorry about that.

the better fuels for cold weather are the ones with higher propane content. id est: Snow Peak.

Daren.......

7. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

Do you know of a good substitute for white gas?

In Argentina it is not possible to buy 'gasolina blanca'. The recommendation was to use "solvente industriale'. It worked reasonably well except that during one hike the flammable part of the fluid was used up leaving me with a third of a bottle of liquid and three days (two nights) to get back to the road. My dragonfly stove ended up partly melted due to uneven heat output.

Does high octane gasoline work?

8. nootka

nootka Paddler

9. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

if you are stomping around all over the planet; use kerosene (aka parraffin). it is available even in third world countries. check the instructions for your Dragonfly and you will see that the other jet it comes with is for Kero, Deisel, and Jet Fuel. unleaded gas can also be used but i forget which jet you need to use; (i sold my Dragonfly and no longer have the instructions). the MSR XGK is said to be one of the better stoves for handling different fuels [i have one for sale]. i have a much modified Primus Himalaya that will burn anything from Alcohol to Zylene. modifying stoves is not for the un-initiated. it can be very dangerous. you are warned.

Daren........

10. oldsailor

oldsailor Paddler

Try dry cleaning fluid from a hardware store or cleaners. That worked for me in France.

Craig

11. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Dry cleaning fluid should be all hydrocarbon, these days. I think it might be called Stoddard's solvent, also. I think it might not work super well in a stove jetted for white gas, but have no experiencw with it. I think it is probably closest to kerosene in volatility an use in stoves.

12. oldsailor

oldsailor Paddler

Well perhaps I should have mentioned that it worked for me in France during a bicycle tour of that country (and several others) in 1972. No one ever charged me for it either; despite that country's reputation (even then) for being bitter towards tourists. But they did love bicycle tourists and especially those who camped and didn't have sag-wagons. That was a fun summer (followed the next year by the Bowron Lakes).

Craig