Another Arctic Tern 14 build.

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by Papacliff, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Papacliff

Papacliff Paddler

Hello folks. I am new to this forum, and I live on the East Coast, specifically Long Island, New York, but I'm sure I will feel welcome here.

A little about me; I've been paddling about three years, but not often enough. I paddle flat water for now, but may be moving on to bigger and better(?) waters soon. I have a Current Designs Whistler now, which works, but it is too heavy and bargelike for my taste. It's a good boat, but if I was buying a factory boat now, this wouldn't be it.

I'm about to receive my AT14 kit, and I found this forum through the Pygmy site. I've been reading, and I can't wait to start on my boat. I'll be asking for help, and if you like, I'll report on my progress as often as I can.

I promise to read and search for an answer before I ask a question that you've answered a dozen times. I've already gotten several tips from reading that will help me, and as issues arise, I'm sure I'll get more.

Thanks in advance for putting up with another novice boat builder.

Cliff

2. Steve_Fairbairn

Steve_Fairbairn Paddler

Hi Cliff. Welcome to the site. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. Looking forward to reading your updates and watching your progress as your build progresses. Be sure to post lots of photos!

3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Cliff wrote: I promise to read and search for an answer before I ask a question that you've answered a dozen times. I've already gotten several tips from reading that will help me, and as issues arise, I'm sure I'll get more.

Cliff, welcome to the site. Please ask away. Many times, you will find yourself in a quandry and not even know what to ask for. We've all been there, and many of us have perhaps been in the same pickle. Great bunch of very skilled, friendly builders here, from whom I have learned tons.

4. Papacliff

Papacliff Paddler

Thanks guys. I've started learning already. I won't be taping both side of my butt joints, and I will be VERY careful until the panels are stitched. Also, I'll be using tissue paper and my printer for the HIN.

One thing I learned about from a local builder is a tool that might make things a bit easier. There is a tool called "safety wire twisting pliers". I got it from harbor freight for $10 US plus shipping. I can use it to twist the stitches without all the repetitive wrist work. I'll have to try it and see how it works, because it is spring loaded, and I'm worried that it may need too much pulling force.

Have any of you used anything like it?

I'm looking forward to participating on this board.

5. keabird

keabird Paddler

Yes be careful when using the twisting pliers. The wire is thin and if it twisted many times very tightly it will break. If it is not making the wires too tight, make sure you are countering the force of pulling on the wires with your other hand. Otherwise you might get the panels out of alignment.

6. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

Hi Cliff;

if that wire twisting tool is anything like a re-bar wire twister your only problem will be that it will be overly easy to over tighten the wires, crushing the wood. i just use a small pair of "vise-grip" pliers.

DarenN.........

7. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Only takes a couple of turns to lock the wire in place. And, you may want to loosen the wire a bit to adjust the fit, so I would avoid using it until everything is just the way you want it. Maybe on every other wire?

8. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Just use ordinary pliers -- they work fine and you have more control.

AND, it'll build stronger wrists, which are good for paddling. :wink: :D

9. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

i strongly agree with all the others here - i came across one of those twirlers during the build below - and if any build could use stitch shortcuts, that one could.

regular, needlenose and bent needlenose pliers give you the control and feel that you need - and the amt of twisting you actually do is only a few turns.

[​IMG]

10. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

That looks like boat acupuncture.

Welcome to the site Cliff. Looking forward to following your build.

11. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

how about porcupincture?

12. CorvPaddler

CorvPaddler New Member

Hi Cliff, I just wanted to add my two cents early and encourage you to buy the 'good' carbide scraper you hear people talk about on this site. I started out with a cheap paint scraper and didn't have the best of luck, so I decided to try one of the carbide scrapers. Wow. Big difference!!! It makes a very nice cut into the epoxy for smoothing, whereas the cheap paint scraper I was trying to use just bounced along, many times making more of a mess than helping clean the joints.

In any case, have fun with the process!
    Dan

13. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

Hey Mick;

are you trying to be Facetious? 8) :twisted: :lol:

14. Papacliff

Papacliff Paddler

I've been a little busy so I haven't had time to get on until now, but the kit came yesterday!

I am now the proud owner of a very expensive bunch of oddly shaped bits and pieces of plywood. There was a problem when I unpacked the "glass" box. The hardener leaked a bit, and made a mess of the books. It also ruined some of the wood flour. I called Pygmy and they're taking care of it.

They also have to send me the mylar and the footbrace studs which were left out.

As far as the twisting pliers, they may not work out. I was playing with them and I think I'll need three hands to use them. Since I seem to only have two, they may join the scrap pile.

I've been reading the manual (I got emailed a copy) and shopping for tools. I'll probably start gluing joints on Friday.

One quick question tonight. The carbide scraper that was mentioned; is that a cabinet scraper, or the kind with a handle that you pull to remove old paint, etc?

Cliff

15. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

16. RoyN

RoyN Paddler

Harbor Freight sells a carbide scraper similar to the one Dave mentioned. I think they sell it as a gasket scraper.

17. Papacliff

Papacliff Paddler

I picked up a scraper at my local ace hardware for about $17.

Now for today's ridiculous question.

What do you guys use for a mixing cup/bowl/tray or whatever? I'm thinking of using a plastic paint tray or chinese food container. I figure that they are flexible enough and "not sticky" enough that I can twist or flex it after the epoxy has cured, and the epoxy would crack/pop off.

Tomorrow, I glue!

18. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

I (and others) use disposable plastic drink cups, from the grocery store. try and get the ones that don't have a huge channel around the bottom outer edge. use them once and toss 'em. it's advisable to wash them in soap and water before use as they may have a mold release residue on them.

DarenN........

19. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

I use some roughly 60-80 cc plastic cups from the hardware store for little pours, old salsa containers for larger ones, and 32 oz yogurt containers for mongo mixes (wetting out glass or doing a saturation coat on large areas). Containers that have raised centers in the bottom are poor for good mixing.

20. steele

steele Paddler

I have built 2 kayaks using only recycled containers. Small single serving yogurt cups work well for small jobs. Salsa, cream cheese and cottage cheese containers work well for larger batches.