Another week packrafting on Shuyak Island, Alaska

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Philip.AK, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Philip.AK

Philip.AK Paddler

This summer I popped back up to Shuyak Island to spend a week packrafting with a friend who had never been to Alaska before. She had fun. :^)

Enjoy.

mbiraman likes this.
  2. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

Wow, great pics - and most interesting light, little inflatable boats! They sure get you out there.
    And is that a chimneyed wood stove that you bring along and put up in your tent or for a tarp/tent??:
    tentstove.jpg
    most cool!

mbiraman likes this.
  3. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Thanks, Philip! Excellent video.
    Are those cabins available for anybody to use?
    (Nice to be in a cabin in bear country, for me!)
    What's the going rate in AK these days for hiring a float plane?

4. Philip.AK

Philip.AK Paddler

Yeah, the pyramid tent is a Mountain Laurel Designs Supermid that I put a Ti Goat stove jack in, and the stove is a small Ti Goat WiFi. I wouldn't normally carry something like that on a trip where most of our time can be spent in cabins, but for the ultimate in plush living for Mary I went ahead and brought it. It folds down to nothing and weighs under 2 pounds for the whole stove setup, so why not live a little?

The cabin the first night was an Alaska State Parks cabin. The going rate is $80 per night, I believe. The other cabin is actually an unfinished banya (sauna) for an old inholding in the park. Alaska lets you apply for a recreational mining claim which allows the holder certain uses and improvements to the claim site. Well, people sometimes abused the mining claim permit to build cabins in places they really weren't planning on panning for gold but instead offered some sweet coho fishing. The State Park put an end to that and a few cabins inside the park are still standing, but are in various states of disrepair. I spent one night in one that had basically turned into a bat roost. It was a terrible experience.

Float plane rates are based on the plane. I think a Cessna 180 is about $1000 per hour and Beavers are maybe $1800. That's REALLY expensive. So we just do seat fares on the mail plane that goes between Kodiak and Port Williams (the old cannery) twice a week (Mondays and Thursdays) for $140 per person each way. It only gets you to the edge of the park, but you can hike into the park from there or use packrafts like we did. :^)

Astoriadave likes this.