Another "where do you get" thread . . . shrinky thingies?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by pawsplus, Nov 28, 2018.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

You know those heat-shrink thingies that you put on cables and lines and such? They shrink up when you heat them up with a flame? My friend and I need to put bungies on our NDK hatch covers (b/c NDK doesn't do it and neither did the dealer and now we are at constant risk of losing the damn things!). My friend got the light-weight bungie material but doesn't know where to get the shrinky things. Figured you guys would know what they are called and/or where to get them!

2. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

3. Jasper

Jasper Paddler

Its called heat shrink tubing and you should be able to find it in the electrical department of any hardware/home improvement store. Or you can go salty and use a whipping knot.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    JohnAbercrombie likes this.
  4. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Heat-shrink comes in different thicknesses and at least two types - regular and 'adhesive'.
    The adhesive type has a hot melt glue coating on the inside, which makes the result more slip-proof.
    A heat gun is nice for shrinking heat-shrink, if you have an electrical outlet handy.

5. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Paws,

Ordinary heat shrink tubing comes in various diameters and colors. A selection is good. Many hardware stores will carry an assortment in a baggie pack or under shrinkwrap, so you can experiment with various diameters before committing to the best size. A heat gun such as modelers use to apply plastic film to RC aircraft is ideal but too expensive for one time use. A candle flame held close to the tubing will also work if you have steady hands. Position the bungie/shrink tubing assembly about a half inch or less to the SIDE of the flame and the tubing will shrink on the hot side. Move the tubing to the other side of the flame to shrink the other side. Very easy to overdo this, so you might want to practice on scrap bungie and a sample of tubing. Even a candle flame will scorch the tubing and maybe the bungie, also, so work up to the ideal distance.

The adhesive lined stuff is much more expensive, and overkill for what you are doing. Good marine stores and perhaps an auto parts store like NAPA should have it. I buy it in bulk, so if you want a couple inches, various sizes, PM me your address and I will mail some off. You may need some later.

6. Mac50L

Mac50L Paddler

Try a hair drier as a heat source. Hotair guns should be cheap enough anyway.

7. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

8. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Hair driers do not get hot enough to adequately shrink shrink tubing unless you modify them in illicit ways. OTOH, heat guns designed for shopwork, such as in John's HarborFreight link, will do the job right out of the box, and do so safely. The Monokote heat guns used for RC aircraft shrinkable coverings also work, but are not as durable. Adhesive lined shrink tubing, such as used in marine wiring, demands more heat to fully activate the adhesive. The Monokote guns can barely do the job.

9. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

If you are an electronics hobbyist, you may have a hot air tool already.
    I use mine more often for heat-shrink than for working on circuit boards.
    There are a number of cheap knock-offs from 'offshore'.
    hot air.JPG

but, I digress...
    :)

10. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

Maybe not as nice, but a lighter flame directly on the fraying end of the bungee should cause it to melt up and keep from unraveling. Cheaper and easier than heat shrink tubing.

11. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

YUP!
    +1
    The rubber core doesn't melt easily and does stink when it gets burnt, but the polyester sheath is the part that frays, and it melts easily.
    Practice on a couple of scraps - there's a 'happy medium' between 'partial fix' and 'burning glob of napalm'...
    :)

12. JKA

JKA Paddler

Man, some people are such killjoys! ;)

13. rider

rider Paddler

I am firmly with the "melt the end of the bungee with a lighter" crowd. Done it for years without an issue, heat shrink on the other hand I have seen fall off the ends.

14. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

The adhesive lined heat shrink tubing never slips off.

15. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

Another tech is to locally stretch the bungee to 2x it's length [use a clamp to isolate the stretch], saturate the nylon sheath with glue [CA or epoxy] and let set up [use spray accelerator on the CA if haste req'd], then cut sheath say 1" long.

JKA likes this.