Anyone recognize this boat/maker?

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by JacobAllison, Jan 13, 2017.

1. JacobAllison

JacobAllison New Member

Hello everyone!

Been lurking around the boards for a while- currently on deployment on something a lot bigger than a Kayak, but now that I'm in San Diego I'm finally going to be getting, or building, one soon.

I noticed this one here on Craigslist and was curious if anyone knew anything about the builder? Looks pretty well put together although I wonder about the long-term durability of the hatch latches.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/for/5951043094.html

Thank you for any input!

2. Kayak Jim

Kayak Jim Paddler

3. JacobAllison

JacobAllison New Member

I was sort of wondering if it might be a CLC, there was another one that was definitely a CLC Chesapeake 17 on sale for $650!!!!!!!!

Emailed him but the listing disappeared because it was 2 weeks old... hope he emails me back, I would buy that in a heartbeat.

I'm not positive it it is due to the hatch combing & the single-piece deck? I thought the CLC were two piece decks? (longitudinally)

4. Kayak Jim

Kayak Jim Paddler

Depends on the model. Mine is a Patuxent 17.5 (discontinued, replaced with PAX18) and has a one piece fore and aft deck with a joint across the beam, as shown. And the cockpit coaming looks identical to mine.

Regardless, it's a nice boat.

5. JacobAllison

JacobAllison New Member

Ah, that'd do it!

And an even nicer boat considering the price. :yikes:
    It'd be what, about $2,500 to built out a similar boat? My budget likes this idea. :cool:

6. Roy222

Roy222 Paddler

Both Pygmy and CLC have new and really neat Stitch and Glue boat kits, all close to $1,200.
    You can build a Stick and Glue boat in about 70 hours. Epoxy- fiber glass is easy to do for first timers.
    A strip boat will take 400 hours-easy!

If you buy an existing kit boat look at it very carefully. Look foe delaminated or broken glass and any plywood discoloration. A painted kit boat would be a big red flag.

Roy