Anyone recognize this SOF design?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by Day_Sailer, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Iwannapaddle

Iwannapaddle Paddler

Hmmm, just found this thread.......

Do you still have that kayak?

Looks VERY similar to the first kayak I "restored" two years ago - although mine has a larger cockpit - big enough to comfortably hold 2 people.

Using it as a single it tracks really well, is really stable and not at all heavy or tiring in the water, but OUT of the water it's as heavy as........

Two-up it gets quite cumbersome unless you've got two strong paddlers in it.

2. Day_Sailer

Day_Sailer Paddler

Yes I still have it, but am mostly paddling the F1 that I built at Brian's class a year ago. If you look at the pics of this unknown design that I posted, you might be able to tell that the cockpit on this design was also longer. After stripping the covering, I modified the cockpit to be one frame shorter. Still plenty long for Ruby to enjoy the ride. Mine came out at 29 lbs with the 9 oz nylon and goop from Cory.

Took my F1 outside at Sunset Bay just south of Charleston/CoosBay area of the Oregon coast. Tremendous shore break..... almost knee high if you stood in ankle deep water. After surviving and getting out the real swells made me dissapper to my nervous wife on shore. Paddled out and saw some dolphins jumping a few hundred feet away. Figured that was far enough to tempt fate and returned........got a huge 10 foot long surf on the final wave in.....

:cool ds