August long weekend

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Anonymous, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi all
    I`m new to this forum,thanks to the guys from WCP for a great local site.On the subject of local sites I`ll be in Vancouver the August long weekend(not sure of the exact days yet)and would like to do a paddle in the Bellcara Deep Cove area. If anybody is interested we can work out a day and time. :p

Wet Elvis

2. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I don't usually go away on long weekends so I might be interested in going for a paddle. Where do you intend to start out from? Is there anywhere in particular that you'd like to go to?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Dan
    I think I ran into you in Victoria for the Tall Ships. Anywho Saturday30th is the day I can do it. I was thinking launching in Bellcara park unless you know of some where better? Depending on conditions I woul like to make it over to Deep Cove.

Wet Elvis :p

4. Dan_Millsip

Did I give you one of our cards? Were you the fellow that I spoke with that was out in a kayak for the first time?

Weather conditions in that area are rarely a consideration. Belcarra to Deep Cove is a pretty short paddle -- perhaps a paddle to Twin Islands or Thwaytes Landing might be better?

Are you renting a boat or do you have your own?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Dan
    You did give me a card but I'm not the guy your thinking of.I was unloading with a couple of other guys across the street from where you were parked.
    Your idea sounds better either or would be great.what time did you want to get out?I will have my boat.

6. Dan_Millsip

I suppose it depends upon how far you want paddle - if you're into a 20 km paddle we could head up to the Buntzen 2 Generating Station via Jug, Racoon, and Twin Islands, then cross the arm to Thwaytes Landing (if it's a hot day, a dip under the nearby small waterfall is quite refreshing). Just poking around at a leisurely pace and exploring nooks and crannies would probably take a relaxed 5-6 hours with 3 or 4 interesting stops. We will get a headwind around 2:00 in afternoon so an earlier start for this route would be a good idea (9:00 on the water?). If you're into a 20 km paddle, you'll see a good portion of the arm.

Other choices would be Belcarra to Bedwell Bay and across to Deep Cove -- about 14 km, or Belcarra to Twin Islands and back via Deep Cove -- also about 14 km.

I'm really fine with any distance that you want to paddle so Let me know how far you want to go or how much time you have available and we'll take it from there.

I'm just finishing up on the Indian Arm location album and hope to have it on the site by tomorrow -- it'll give you a good idea of what to expect.

Is there anyone else who wants to join us?

7. Steve_Fairbairn

Steve_Fairbairn Paddler

Bad timing... :(

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Dan
    the 20k route sounds great.
    If I can remember right there is a Esso at Ioco and Barnett do you want to met there at 8:00 and I could follow you up to the put in spot.

9. Dan_Millsip

Works for me!

See you at the Esso station at 8:00.