Baja information request

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by ken_vandeburgt, Oct 12, 2011.

1. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

Can you recommend a good source of information for kayaking (independent of tour guides) on the Pacific and Sea of Cortes shores of the states of Baja Norte and Baja Sur, Mexico?

2. MartinZ

MartinZ Paddler

Hey Ken,

I've spent a fair chunk of the last 20 or so years paddling in the sea. Feel free to PM me if you like.

3. AndyP

AndyP New Member

My wife and I did a 40 day independent trip on the sea of Cortez last spring; it was wonderful!

It was surprisingly hard to find a guidebook. The one I ended up using is from here:

http://paddlepublishing.com/

"The Guide to Baja Sea Kayaking." It was good and proved to be reasonably up to date and accurate for where we went, mostly consisting of Satellite maps with GPS waypoints listing camps, landings, water sources, dangerous points, etc... Very useful. It covered most of the Cortez side, and Mag bay on the pacific. Maybe some of the northern Pacific areas also, I can't remember. Not a well publicized book at all; it takes very specific google searches to show up.

We also copied the pertinent pages from the topographic Baja Almanac, and didn't bother with charts.

4. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

Thanks for the tip ... I now have the book on order.

5. MartinZ

MartinZ Paddler

Just PM'ed you Ken...