Baja tour group recommendations?

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by 49north, Dec 5, 2015.

1. 49north

49north Paddler

By the time January/February roll around in Vancouver I will need some sun! This is a great place to live but the persistent winter rain/grey skies/4:30 darkness get to be too much for me.
    I'm thinking of signing up for a guided trip in Baja. I'm familiar with the general landscape (the usual trips to Cabo, but also windsuring at Los Barriles), so expecting to find something generally in the La Paz/Loreto corridor.
    I've scanned a bunch of websites, but what I'm finding are trips that run about 5 days (fine) but look kinda dull (geared for complete novices). Then there are more challenging trips, but running 8 - 12 days, which is too long for me. I'm looking for that Goldilocks not-too-easy, not-too-hard intermediate trip that is somewhere around 5 days. I assume it will be camping, but mothership or even lodge-based would work, though I don't know if those exist in Baja.
    Anyone out there had a Goldilocks experience down there? Thanks!
    Jonathan

2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Jonathon,

I've not gone on any trips with Ginni, but I believe her group likely will tailor things to your needs. She has been at this for a long time, and really knows her stuff. Very professional, very personable.

https://seakayakbajamexico.com/our-trip ... -overview/

3. 49north

49north Paddler

I'll have a look - thanks, Astoriadave.

4. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

I asked a friend who has been kayaking in Baja several times.
    The response:
    For myself, I've taken a couple of classes with Ginni Callaghan and I'd feel pretty confident signing up for a trip with her, if I were heading to Baja.

5. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Ginni is a local, and runs trips out of Skamokawa, WA in the summers, but her true domain is Baja. She is a multifaceted person, with talent in several areas, and a has a terrific sense of humor. Lots of Ginni stories. Not sure where her blog is now, but worth checking out. Very good writer, with a broad range.

6. drahcir

drahcir Paddler

http://kayaktravel.blogspot.com/

7. 49north

49north Paddler

Wow, lots of interesting posts and links on her blog! (I'm a fan of Lloyd Kahn, who she links to).
    I was at a SKABC get-together last night and talked with a paddler who has been to Baja a few times. She pointed out that Jan/Feb is very windy (hence the kiteboarding and windsurfing camps down there), and that it's not uncommon to get pinned on a beach for one or more days. It was suggested to wait for March (nope) or to try Belize as an alternative, but that's a long haul from Vancouver. I'm inclined to risk Baja, and take along a good book or two.
    Ginni's camps look very interesting, though I'd have to wait for March for the 6-day trip. Baja Outdoor Adventures seems to have lots of options. I'll let you know what I come up with. Thanks!

8. designer

designer Paddler

Looks like you are on your way, guided tour-wise. Just a note, and this goes for places like Hawaii too, on picking tours if you have no recommendation. Be sure to get a description of the "boat" you will be using and if it is a single or double (you may be paired with someone who has no paddle experience at all). Some of these outfits call anything that floats a "kayak" and it can turn out to be a plastic sit-on-top barge.

9. 49north

49north Paddler

Good to know, and something I hadn't thought of, thanks.

10. SandMarks

SandMarks Paddler

Just thought I'd add this. Probably doesn't fit your time schedule, but it was a great event when I went a couple years ago.

http://bajakayakfest.com/

I kinda think this was one of the closest times I've come to death in a kayak!

But now it's just a happy memory!

And my friend Bret had a good time!

Jenn Kleck and Victor Leon provide a great time. If I can, I hope to make it back this year.

Mark

#