• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Bar width for 4 J racks?

BigandSmall

Paddler
What bar width are you folks using to fit 4 J racks and touring boats?

Looking to do a wide bar set up for longer trips and not have to bring my trailer. I was planning on building something but I see there are some inexpensive aluminum bolt on options available with 66" wide bars. Not sure if these are wide enough.

To get 4 boats, you may want to skip the J-racks and go to stackers. Or use 1 J-rack as the base (with a boat in it) and stack the other 3 boats on each side.

Thanks for the stacker suggestion Peter. I did some measuring on my trailer after pilfering another J rack. The minimum bar width to get 4 J racks on would be 52". That would be mounting the rack right at the edges and all facing the same way. You might want to use some sort of limit underneath for the strap depending on how you tie off. I had the racks touching and juggled a Zephyr 155 and Alchemy S. Deck heights on those boats aren't a factor though but there was still plenty of space. On the 65-66" wide Trac-rack's or Erickson set ups I'd expect to be able to get 4-5 boats up there without issue using J racks. With their strange bar shapes there's no saying what sort of fitment issues you may run into bolting your racks on.

Back