Bartender Photos-- Dave's Kayaking Mothership

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by Astoriadave, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

But, he did not have to twist my arm much. :wink: :roll:

At Daren Neufeld's request, below is the link to updated photos of the power boat I have been working on the last year and a half. Launch in a month, I think. I had wanted to complete this for a Bartender get together at Montague Provincial Park on Galiano Island, slated for August 17, 18, and 19, but the boat won't be done by then. [We plan to be there, though!] There should be half a dozen of these old, unusual vessels there that weekend, working out of the group campsite, with some moored in the adjacent cove. These boats are dory-hulled double enders, designed for rough water use (hence the name), and are best as inboards. They have been used in surf rescue service in OZ (they are nuts down there), and the USCG flirted with using them as coastal patrol boats.

Becky and I plan to use ours to explore the outer coastline of Vancouver Island, toting our folding kayaks along in bags, assembling them in the cockpit (yeah, right!) and boarding them off the stern so we can gunkhole, using the Bartender as a mother ship. Some of the details of this are a bit vague, but we think this will work out.

Here is the link: http://tinyurl.com/2dvf8l

First album is here: http://tinyurl.com/ylcdd4

2. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

see? now we are right back on topic. new title: Daves Kayaking Mothership.

it's phenomenally gorgeous!! and a great power-plant you picked there Dave. i am envious.

DarenN........

3. andreas

andreas Paddler

wow i just looked at all 500000000 pictures... AMAZING!!!!!

You can be really really proud of your boat!

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Ha ha ha ha! Good one. Mark, Dan, whomever ... you have my permission to change the name of this thread! Hope to see some of you up on Galiano in August. Maybe, a stealth attack by the mongo seastar-mermaids, or an urchin roe feast with Sushi in charge. :wink: BTW, I tried urchin roe up in the Charlottes, in August one year. Not impressed. Waaay too much work for a mouthful of goo, and I relish all the other kinds of sushi except eel. :shock: :mrgreen:

5. Jill

Jill Paddler

Wow, what a lot of work Dave. Looks great ,you must have used a ton of epoxy. Beautiful job.

6. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Thanks; about 4 gallons, I think.

7. waverider

waverider Paddler

Dave the craftsmenship you have done is truely amazing! Some of those compound cuts (like on the windshield) send shivers up my spine just thinking about them. Well Done

8. Robert_Meier

Robert_Meier Paddler

Amazing photos Dave! Absolutely beautiful!!!

9. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Probably I should have a shot of all the wood I ruined learning how to do the cuts properly! :oops: :oops: :roll:

10. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Hi Dave,
    Looking at your boatbuilding photos reminded me so much of my childhood with my Dad building boats in the garage! If you're interested, here's a couple of photos of one of the boats Dad built in the Yukon in about 1960. He went on to rebuild from the hull up a 38' (I think) Fisheries boat that had sunk - that was in like 1970...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Cool! Your dad was ahead of his time. Is that the 38? Looks like a Tollycraft. These were much prized down here. There is a cult of old farts who restore those big hogs. They are truly elegant craft.

12. Kheyashunka

Kheyashunka Paddler

I started reading Daves posts what seems like eons ago on the Folbot
    board. I always felt, and now it's affirmed, Dave is the REAL DEAL.
    Great craftsmanship AD 8) !!!

Jeff

13. Komatiq

Komatiq Paddler

Nice work AD, got me all anxious just looking through the pic's.

Sure be glad when the new job starts and I can get back to working with wood boats again.

Here's a couple of a strip canoe I did for a fellow when I was back East.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Whoaa! That is one fine canoe! How big?

A stripper is on my eventual agenda.

15. Komatiq

Komatiq Paddler

Hey Dave, thanks, after seeing your build pic's I take that as a real complement.... :wink:

It's a 16' made from patterns taken from an original Chestnut Prospector but I added a bit of recurve to the stems. There was over 100 knots in the darned thing (eastern white cedar) and quite a few of them had to be epoxied in place.

I'm headed back to Nova Scotia soon to work for a builder there setting up shop in Lunenburg. As a kid growing up on boats in the East it was a dream of mine to one day work in Lunenburg so it was quite a treat when I got the offer. I'll be building these....
    http://www.norseboat.com/index.htm
    ....... in glass, glass/wood hybrid & all wood. The really neat part for me is that I will be working with a master boat builder on the wood projects and he gets to learn state of the art composites from me.... great set up!!

I'll keep watching for your maiden voyage pic's an the ones from your trip to the west coast of the Island.

16. ghost

ghost Paddler

That's amazing!!! Just wow.

My current boat is a Tolly. Great boats.

Way way way way cool.

17. steele

steele Paddler

I am very impressed! It was very intersesting looking at your build pics. I have also enjoyed surfing through Sam Devlins website (devlinboat.com) looking at his larger craft. Is your boat your design or did get the plans elswhere?
    Tom

18. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Tom, the Bartender is a decades-old design from George Calkins, who made several hundred of these in lengths from 19 ft to 26 ft. The rights to the design are now owned by Bill Childs, who sells frame kits and plans for these boats out of Bellingham, WA. I bought a hull frame kit for a 19 and extended it one frame to make a 20 ft 4 inch boat. Bartender Boats: http://bartenderboats.com/index.html

19. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

Beautiful work Dave.... With your sage and always helpful advice you are a real benefit to the builders (and others) on this board. Good luck in the relocation Komatiq and I hope you will keep in touch (I can use more possible paddle contacts in the east coast and it always pays to be nice to Maritimers).

Brad

P.S. I apologize for the feelings expressed in this post, but I accidentally took a double dose of anti-depressants this morning.

20. Komatiq

Komatiq Paddler

Thanks jurgenk. I'll post a few pic's once I'm home and back on the water. Us Maritimers are noted for our hospitaity, the door is always open.