Bartender Photos-- Dave's Kayaking Mothership

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by Astoriadave, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

Beautiful work Dave!

2. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I agree. It looks awesome, Dave!

3. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

man that looks sharp! :D

4. Iwannapaddle

Iwannapaddle Paddler

Wow - that is really looking awesome Dave

5. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Photos on the water here (last two): http://www.pbase.com/bartenderdave/boostrip

Bartender Bill (provider of the frame kit) has been after me for ages to get this done. Finally ran out of excuses. Wish I had heeded his urging long ago -- the red looks good. Waterline is an inch out of the water here because boat is light all ways: only a little fuel aboard; no passengers; no food or water for an extended trip.

6. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

After a six month hiatus, I'm back working on the pram, to be used as a tender for the Bartender ("a Bartender tender").

Corner braces were on the agenda today. In last glueup. The huge springback at the center made for a quarter inch gap at the sheer rails, so there is some serious clampage going on. New photos begin here: http://www.pbase.com/bartenderdave/image/110346252

Next phase is saturation of the interior and then seat and oarlock set up. Gonna use some surplus 2-part WR-LPU in light grey to paint the interior. Maybe white on the exterior.

7. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

The tender got wet today, as part of determining the best location for oarlocks and setup of the thwarts, neither a trivial issue for a dinghy that will be used both solo and as a tandem. New photos begin here, with a sequence showing skeg glassing, etc., followed by the oarlock setup.
    http://www.pbase.com/bartenderdave/image/121632251

[​IMG]

That's buddy Gary, in the solo position, on the local lake. With 1.5 metre oars, it will spin quickly at low speed, and the skeg keeps it in line when trucking.

8. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

Very nice Dave! Are you going to just varnish it?

9. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

No, varnish is a lot of trouble to maintain.

Most of it will be painted to reduce UV damage to the epoxy, with the System Three 2-part WR-LPU that covers most of the Bartender, probably light grey and blue or maybe some red accents.

The only part finished bright will be the skeg, and there will be clear S3 2-part WR-LPU on that, as well as a protective half-oval rub strip of bronze I scrounged from someone.

10. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

Dave, you need a tiny sailrig for that little tender. say about forty square feet of balanced lug sail. :cool
    what a kewl little boat!

11. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Ah, Daren, I am not that evolved ... but I think this project will finally make use of those flush fittings of yellow cedar you gave me, lo ... two years ago! :oops: This thing will need to be well-lashed down when behind the engine box.

12. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Dinghy is done!

[​IMG]

Wrapped up and ready to row. Blue hull; light gray interior with some bright work inside and an ample bright-finished mahogany skeg. Oars have fresh leathers and collars -- these leathers being the first ones I have ever made. New pBase photos start here:
    http://www.pbase.com/bartenderdave/imag ... 6082/large

Rowing positions are on a central platform, with an aft thwart (removable) for the passenger. Ring bolts holding the aft thwart in place are used as anchor points for a securing bungie in nesting mode (thwart removed), assisted by two bolts through the center frame of the forward portion into the rowing seat support (aft portion), bolts not visible in photos. These bolts serve double duty, being two of eight which hold the central frames to each other on assembly.

Got really lucky on placement of the structural members needed to form the nest. With some neoprene gasket material as padding and chafe resist in three places, the bow portion just fits into the aft portion, with no wibble-wobble, and is bombproof. Be interesting to see how this fits in the cockpit of Surf Scoter ... on the agenda for Friday, I hope.

Oar leathers are three-sixteenths neoprene gasket material, stitched in place, with donuts completing the rubber. Keel (not shown) is protected with some reclaimed bronze half-oval a friend traded me for a couple bottles of scotch.

Becky wants to call it Little Blue Duck We'll see.

13. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

looks really cute, Dave. . .

other names could be: 'bartender tender', 'the shotglass' . . .

14. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

We decided to go with Little Blue Duck, even though a nautical scholar acquaintance says painting a boat blue pisses off King Neptune. Maybe A Little Bad Luck, in lieu? Here she is, nesting over the engine box:

[​IMG]

And, a-rowing:

[​IMG]

Updated photos begin at the link below, detailing an outing out of the John Day boat ramp with ex-wife and longtime buddy/second mate Belinda (she who rows). We got a chance to sample the nesting, a start at rigging it for transit, a little dinghy towing (10 knots is scary; 6 knots is very good), and a feel for how it rows. Boarding was easy ... at least on a calm day. Rowing? Well, the dinghy knows more about that than we do!

Photos: http://www.pbase.com/bartenderdave/image/123089021

This was a fun project, despite a six-month hiatus. I can see Becky and I will have to change our way of stowing gear on a several-day jaunts, but otherwise, the dink works fine, aft of the engine box.

15. Dan_Millsip

The Bartender is for sale!

As many of you already know, Dave's health has been extremely poor over the past while and he's now having to see this beautiful boat that he built (he would have posted himself, but he's not able).

If anyone is interested in what I suspect is a fine boat, it's located in Astoria Oregon -- the Craigslist ad is here:

http://portland.craigslist.org/nco/boa/2537300557.html

16. Dan_Millsip

Good news. Just talked to Dave on the phone and his Bartender has sold.

He's pretty happy about this and is happy that the boat is going to get some use.

He says to say hi to everyone and to let everyone know that he's doing OK.

17. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Good news on both points! :big_thumb

18. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

yes on both points, but especially the latter.

19. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

What Mick said. :big_thumb

20. redguy

redguy Paddler

Thanks for the update, Dan. All the best to Dave. I miss his wit and wisdom on the forum.