Bartender Photos-- Dave's Kayaking Mothership

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by Astoriadave, Jul 21, 2007.

1. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

I call a decision based upon good reasoning, a good decision. There may be better decisions, but the original one is still good.

2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

3. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

huh, you steam it . . . or it steams you!

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

OK. Time for a couple of poses:

[​IMG]

Profile, assembled. Can you spot the seam?

[​IMG]

Overhead, assembled.

[​IMG]

And, in its little nest, before the frame stubs were removed.

Becky says we will call it The Egg and I, after the story, and because it is loosely the progeny of a Surf Scoter.

5. andreas

andreas Paddler

Dave you are crazy! Where did you get that idea from? You know that stupid designs like that are only for crazy Germans :lol:
    You know I'm just kidding!

Anyhow, don't forget the bailing bucket :lol: :lol:

6. cattail

cattail Paddler

Is it the tender for the Mothership? I bet that can fit in my dad's trunk on his MK IV

7. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Andreas, my heritage is German, in part, also some French Canadian on my mother's side ... how could one improve on that stew? :wink: :lol: I think I may be a bad example of hybrid vigor! :roll:

Cattail, let's try it! Yes, the pram was sized to fit behind the engine box -- hence the four-foot beam at the middle.

My worst nightmare has me and Becky in it as it folds together in the center. :oops:

8. gpsailer

gpsailer Paddler

hi dave

really do like your bartender. nice build. also your dingy. that is going to be a great little boat.

i have a question. i have been looking for a while to build a mothership for myself that i could spend the whole summer on and still have room for a few extra people now and again.

so far i like jay benfords 36 ft power dory.
    i love a double ended boat for so many reasons.
    like your bartender they are so seaworthy and they just seem to look right.
    beachable and carry a good load.

have you seen this boat or know of it. i would very much like your opinion.

thanks dave.

mark.

9. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Boy, I am such a novice at power boats I really do not know anything about that design, and would not be qualified to assess it. I suspect a post on the WoodenBoat Forum might generate a lot more wisdom: http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/

10. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

can you provide a link(s) to pics/plans/specs of this boat? i've searched and can't find it.

Daren......

11. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

12. gpsailer

gpsailer Paddler

i have jay benfords design book called SMALL SHIPS forth edition.

i found some drawings by google for
    benford design group

www.benford.us

it is in the fishing vessel section.
    designed as a work boat it has great versatility

listed as 36 ft powerdory.

13. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

OK. I found that as a PDF file. Substantial vessel, double ender with a keel. Looks like a salmon troller of the old school. Gpsailor, if that type of craft is what you like, the guy who now owns the rights to the design I built is developing plans (and possibly a frame kit) for something kind of like that, but at 22 feet. Check this out: http://bartenderboats.com/images/Timber ... 010-08.pdf

Still in the plans stage, and a prototype has not been made yet. Designer is Tad Roberts of Gabriola Island.

14. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

15. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Just completed a week in the Gulf Islands. Photos and some narrative here: http://www.pbase.com/bartenderdave/gulfje2009 Becky's first extended cruise. Just eased in after the long weekend and its spitty rain, to gather in the beautiful sun of this past week. Great time.

16. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

nameboards from the hand of local artist and sign painter Roger McKay, caught at Pier 39, where Roger's daughter sells espresso. Male model is Becky's brother in law Rich, visiting from the Bay area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Becky and I recently spent a couple nights on Sucia Island, one of the northernmost San Juans, with other devotees of the Bartender cult. A few photos of boats, and more of the island and its attractions. Certainly one of the major jewels in the marine trail system. About 2 1/2 miles of paddling from Orcas and reachable via other routes as well. Across Boundary Passage from Saturna (a looong way across!). Tons of campsites in several bays. Good water available; trails, etc.

My photos here: http://www.pbase.com/bartenderdave/btgt2009

Bartender Bill's photos here (heavier on boats): http://tinyurl.com/lmj85k

18. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

oh man! Sucia is a beauty!! when i sailed out of Point Roberts it was one of our favorite over-night trips. very fond memories of digging clams with two Jack Russels on the beaches of Sucia. :) they dug a lot of holes in the sand but weren't really all that much help. :wink:

[​IMG]

Daren........

19. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Finally getting around to laying the boot stripe on the hull, after two seasons on the water. I lasered on the line, with an upswoop of a couple inches at the bow, to match where she sits when we two, and overnight gear/food/fuel/etc. are aboard, then taped to match the laser. This is pre-paint, outside the boat shed/shop in sun and cold today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taping aross irregular areas like the chine guard (second photo) always gnashes me severely. My last resort is a reset of the laser in close and tight so I can sweep it across the changes in surface, followed by a massive dose of tape and then a razor blade tracing along the laser line to finish it off.

20. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Well, here are some shots of the boat on the trailer with the boot stripe in place. When the weather improves a bit, I'll slap it on the water and see if I hit the waterline or not. The guy who sells frame kits for these boats has been on me for a while to get the boot stripe in place.

http://www.pbase.com/bartenderdave/boostrip