Bella Bella 2 Prince Rupert

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by chodups, Jul 18, 2015.

1. chodups

chodups Paddler

Dave Resler (dvfrggr), Greg Polkinghorn and I are driving to Port Hardy on Sunday (7/26). We are taking the Monday morning ferry to Bella Bella where we will launch and head for Prince Rupert via the outer coast.

Our intended route takes us outside of Athlone, Price, Aristazabal, Estevan, Banks, Porcher and Stephens. If weather smiles and we are having fun we may have time to visit Melville, Dunira, Baron and Dundas The route (minus the Dundas complex) is about 240 NM.

I’ll post the address for my Spot before we leave for anyone who might be interested.

2. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Hope you all have great weather and just enough adventure to make it fun. We'll look forward to the trip report on 3 meter swell.

3. chodups

chodups Paddler

4. Yeti

Yeti Paddler

How was your trip? :popcorn:

5. chodups

chodups Paddler

The trip was successful.

We had a mix of weather. Heavy rains to warm sunny days. Blown out conditions to zero wind. Moderate seas to totally flat. Soaking wet gear to gear drying on warm sunny beaches. More point-to-point paddling that I would normally prefer. I’ve had enough 9NM crossings for a while but that is the nature of this route. . Plenty of discomfort and uncertainty.

Not a Club Med experience but one that I will cherish. Not a route I need to repeat.

The outside of Price and Aristazabal are stunning. Price doesn’t offer the kayak camper many choices or amenities, though. The very south end of Aristazabal is other-worldly and begs for more exploration. I visited a couple of Kayak Bill sites I hadn’t been to before.

The outer Estevan Group has its moments as does Banks but we were passing through and didn’t have time poke around. Someone needs to spend some time checking out Kingkown Inlet and documenting more campsites. It has “history” written all over it. Interesting evidence of historical First Nation’s occupation. Fish traps, canoe runs, enormous CMT’s. Something pretty special about launching at low tide on canoe runs cleared through beach-blocking boulders by First Nations way back whenever.

I’ll return to Price and Aristazabal as destinations to camp and explore. Outer Banks and Estevan, probably not.

Big thanks go to Glenn Lewis and The Nanaimo Paddlers for all of their work on documenting remote outer campsites from Banks south to Cape Caution. Without their vision and efforts we wouldn’t have “found” many of the places we camped and may not have attempted this route. Some are so well hidden that I am surprised that they found them at all. You can find those guides here: http://issuu.com/glennlewis/docs/banks_ ... ield_guide

I’m sorting through my photos now and really hope that Dave and Greg got better shots as mine don’t tell the story. I’ll post more as I get it all together.

6. chodups

chodups Paddler

7. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Nice job, Jon. Fascinating to see these details. Be OK with me if the name of the bay was confabulated.

8. chodups

chodups Paddler