Best guide books for Calvert Island up to Klemtu

alexsidles

Paddler
There are only a handful of guidebooks that cover that region. Here are all of them, in approximate order of usefulness:

ISBN: 978-1552857861​
Whitecap Books, 2006​
BC Marine Trails. Online Map.​
No ISBN (web only).​
Regular updates.​
Nanaimo Paddlers. A Field Guide for Paddlers. (Three separate guides.)​
No ISBN (web only)​
Self-published, 2012 and 2013​
ISBN: various​
Wild Coast Publishing, various dates​
ISBN: 978-0881506426​
Countryman Press, 2005​

ISBN: 978-1553650331​
Greystone Books, 2004​

For detailed review book reviews of each of the above, see: Alex Sidles Reviews of Sea Kayaking Guidebooks.

McGee wrote one of the best guidebooks in general for Washington and BC, but it so happens that his coverage of the central coast is poor. He wouldn't normally be at the bottom of a list of guidebooks, but for your area, he is.

Kimantas's recreation mapsheet bundle duplicates the coverage of Wild Coast Vol. 2, except in more portable format. Note that these two mapsheets cover only part of the area you need, north and south Hakai. Kimantas's index of mapsheets shows additional mapsheet coverage all the way up to Klemtu, but it appears those additional mapsheets are not available. It appears only north and south Hakai are available at this time.

Alex

Last edited:

cougarmeat

Paddler
I see you are from PNW. Are you planning on jumping the required hoops to get into Canada? As I understand it, the requirements are now:
1) Be vaccinated
2) Have a documented negative test within 72 hours before entry.

I don’t know that the return-to-usa requirements are.

But those things seem to change often - if the border is still open (given the conditions above) at all.

willi

I see you are from PNW. Are you planning on jumping the required hoops to get into Canada? As I understand it, the requirements are now:
1) Be vaccinated
2) Have a documented negative test within 72 hours before entry.

I don’t know that the return-to-usa requirements are.

But those things seem to change often - if the border is still open (given the conditions above) at all.
I'm thinking May, when COVID's over.