Best option for protecting paddle tips?

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by benson, May 25, 2018.

1. benson

benson Paddler

Time to recondition a couple of well used Greenland paddles. I want to sand down the epoxy I had used to protect the tips which have become somewhat exposed due to chipping. I'll either need to pick up some fresh epoxy or may try a polyurethane product. Any thoughts on a preferred option?

2. Roy222

Roy222 Paddler

Mask off the area and use Thickened epoxy. Take about 1 mm off at the tape line.
    Thicken the epoxy with any hard material you can find - use wood flour if necessary.

Or cut the ends off and glue/spline on a piece of tight grain hard wood.
    maybe apple or maple

Roy

3. benson

benson Paddler

The epoxy is probably the easiest way for me to go. It protected pretty well and with western red cedar I will be sure to have an adequate coat. I do like the hardwood tip and edges I have on a couple of laminated paddles, but it's hard to beat the weight of a cedar paddle...I prefer wood!

4. Mac50L

Mac50L Paddler

I use kwila tips. Kwila is used as a veranda decking timber, very tough. To fasten them on I use 3 - 3 mm SS dowels and epoxy. Crimp / nick (hacksaw) the SS rods to give better grip and drill ~4 mm holes. Fill with epoxy. Use an angle-grinder to shape the tips after fitting.