• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Best option for protecting paddle tips?

benson

Paddler
Time to recondition a couple of well used Greenland paddles. I want to sand down the epoxy I had used to protect the tips which have become somewhat exposed due to chipping. I'll either need to pick up some fresh epoxy or may try a polyurethane product. Any thoughts on a preferred option?

Mask off the area and use Thickened epoxy. Take about 1 mm off at the tape line.
Thicken the epoxy with any hard material you can find - use wood flour if necessary.

Or cut the ends off and glue/spline on a piece of tight grain hard wood.
maybe apple or maple

Roy

The epoxy is probably the easiest way for me to go. It protected pretty well and with western red cedar I will be sure to have an adequate coat. I do like the hardwood tip and edges I have on a couple of laminated paddles, but it's hard to beat the weight of a cedar paddle...I prefer wood!

I use kwila tips. Kwila is used as a veranda decking timber, very tough. To fasten them on I use 3 - 3 mm SS dowels and epoxy. Crimp / nick (hacksaw) the SS rods to give better grip and drill ~4 mm holes. Fill with epoxy. Use an angle-grinder to shape the tips after fitting.

Back