• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Best time for Broughtons?

DavidB

Paddler
My wife and I intend to visit the Broughtons next year, and we want to maximize our chances of good (dry) weather. Weather Underground almanac data indicate that July is slightly dryer than August, on average.

Is there any big reason (crowds, whale migrations, etc.) to consider planning the trip for some other month of the year?

Thanks,
David

Having spent a fair bit of time in the Broughton over the years, I would suggest September -- gorgeous sunshine almost daily, and no people -- all the yachters tend to leave a few days before the September long weekend and the place becomes refreshingly quiet. The only downside is that it's a bit cooler in the evenings and the days are a little bit shorter -- but it's a small price to pay for nearly having the entire place to yourself.

If you're most interested in seeing whales, July and August are best.

DavidB,

Dan really knows best on this. I can only add that the differences in average month to month summertime precipitation are small, and what you can expect to encounter over a week's time might vary from all sun to all rain to a mix, depending on the week. One way to cope is to plan a trip that is flexible enough that if you need to spend half your days weatherbound in camp (most unlikely), you will still see enough cool stuff to feel satisfied. Likely you might lose only one or two days to weather, times for lounging under a weatherproof tarp, watching the animals and the tide, absorbing the feel of the place. And resting and gorging, so you can really hit it when the weather clears.

As Dave says, July and August don't vary a whole lot with regard to precipitation. I don't think you can go wrong during the summer months in the Broughton. June tends to get more rain on average but I did spend an entire June there on one trip and it hardly rained at all. I'm no weatherman but July and August both seem good but of course, this could vary from year to year and I've had stretches of cloudy weather for a few weeks during those months as well.

The locals in the Echo Bay area all tell me that if they were going to re-roof a building they'd do it in September because it hardly ever rains. I spent an entire September there one year and the weather was fabulous -- during that particular September it was typically a bit foggy in the mornings but it would burn off before noon and then sunshine for the rest of the day.

Really, I wouldn't worry too much about the weather -- just go and enjoy the splendor of the place. You'll get what you get and as any seasoned kayaker knows, you take it as it comes (the rainy days only help to build appreciation for the sunny days).

If you do a search of the forums for "broughton" and limit your search to the "Trip Reports" section and filter your search by "Topic Titles Only" you'll get several results.

June = long days, nobody about and big tides. Camp spots will likely be to yourself and the weather can be great. Have had some stiff NW the last few years which have blown all day rather than follow the normal light morning, windy afternoon and light evening pattern. Not too big an issue once you are among the islands.

July = getting busier but still reasonable through the early 20s. If you want Orca, it is worth waiting until after mid month. Wind patterns stabilize to normal and fog is generally minimal.

August = Like the end of July, it will be busy. Expect camps to have multiple groups and to maybe struggle to find a quiet camp. Wildlife will be good. Expect fog in the mornings and wind in afternoon. Also expect a good few calm, hot days.

September = Very quiet after labor day. Wildlife spectacular but weather can start to turn. You can expect a few days in a row of SE winds and rain. Lots of morning fog. Will start to get cooler.

Generally dry June through early Sept.

Thread resurrection.

We're getting a water taxi out of Telegraph Cove on Saturday 7/2, will spend the week working our way back from the Burdwell Group (that's the plan currently).

Where's a good place for us to camp near TC, the night before?

My paddling partner and I stayed at Adler Bay camp ground. It's "up the street." We took a water taxi from there to the Burdwood group. I recall that the daily fee was reasonable and showers - without a timer, but they expect you to be reasonable - were $1.00. After 8 days in the Broughtons, I did everything twice - shower/hair wash/shave/etc. and paid $2.00 :)

We taxied to the Burdwood group and made our way back, via Fox Group and Mound Island, to Kaikash Creek. Then we paddled up that shore back to Adler Bay. We hardly noticed mosquitoes until we reached Kaikash Creek.

A GPS with campsite waypoints was useful as the "beaches" could be hard to see at high tide.

Super, thanks. Got them bookmarked, was just waiting for some input like this.

I'm thinking we'll reserve a spot there for the night before, then, at the end, take out and drive down the coast a ways to find a reasonably-priced hotel room and a burger. And beer. Lots of beer.

This might be better suited for "Gear" but after several experiences in Canadian "Campgrounds" that were mostly rocks and weeds (and wetter than central Oregon's high desert), I bought a Kamp-Rite Tent Cot. In about a minute I have it set up and I'm off the ground in a bug free environment. Note that like a hammock, a cot lets air pass underneath so you'll want a pad to insulate against convection heat loss.

I'm mentioning that because sometimes a "medium priced motel" doesn't appear. There are tent sites at Alder Bay, and once I am snuggled in warm, it doesn't matter that my bed is only 3 x 8 ft.

Though people have accused of trying to put the cot tent on (not in) the kayak - it isn't true. I use a hammock with a small hiking tent back up if I'm not sure about the tree situation.

Does anyone have a hot tip on a mid-price place to stay in Campbell River?

We plan to take out at Telegraph Cove early afternoon on Friday, July 8th and get a start on the drive to Victoria, so I should try to make a reservation someplace, if it's not too late already.

I would stay at telegraph cove the night before and the way back. A bit of a splurge to stay in the old cabins at the telegraph cove resort but they have great character. lThe marina hotel rooms are good too, newer not the same charm. There is a campground at the marina, which is very exposed ( no trees, just grass) but functions well. We have stayed at all 3.

The pub is good, but my favourite is the killer whale Cafe on the dock.

Back