Big news!! Passed my 3 Star BCU assessment!

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by pawsplus, Oct 19, 2018.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Second time was the charm. This was at the Sea Kayak Georgia symposium. Actually, what I did in the assessment last year was more difficult (bigger conditions and a pickier assessor), but I do feel that between the two, I really do deserve it. This year I was on a trip with the 4 star group--I was a guinea pig "student" for the 4 star candidates and was assessed along the way. That presented some interesting issues and confusion, when both the 4 star candidates and the assessors were telling me to do things at the same time! Seems to me that there is not much agreement between assessors as to what is required, for either 3 or 4 star! But hey. Did it!!!

Also worked with my spirit animal, Dubside, on my Norsaq roll (got it back!). Also learned to roll with a Euro blade (less difficult than I had thought--got it in one!), as well as half a Euro blade and half a Gearlab, worked on making my shotgun and butterfly better, and started on the storm roll. Oh, and discovered that I can roll easily without extending the paddle. Eila made me do that on assessment day and it was a little unnerving doing it out at sea for the first time with no one in the water, but at this point I know I can always save myself with a standard roll. That is an absolutely amazing feeling!

And went surfing. :) Capsized in the shallows and couldn't roll up because the paddle got stuck in the sand but I was able to re-enter and roll, which impressed the instructor.

I really am feeling like I am DOING THIS THING now!!! :)

As always, much of the credit for all successes I might experience is owed to you guys. You supported me when I was desperately trying to learn to do this after my San Juans tour 4 years ago. Given that there is no one here in TN who could help me, I do not think I could have gotten to this point without this forum. And as always, my biggest mentor is Dave! Thank you, Tarp Man! :)

stagger and Astoriadave like this.
  2. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

And there are zero pix. Way too busy DOING, and underwater too often, to have the camera around my neck!

Astoriadave likes this.
  3. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

Congrads!

pawsplus likes this.
  4. stagger

stagger Paddler

Paws, that’s super inspiring! Congrats on your successes. You’ve come a long way in a few short years; it’s been awesome watching your dedication to the sport blossom and grow.

pawsplus likes this.
  5. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Thank you! It hasn't been easy, stuck here in TN, but I try to make the most of our lakes and rivers. Planning a 3 day trip through the TN river gorge around Thanksgiving. :)

Astoriadave likes this.