bivy bag

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by fester, Feb 11, 2006.

1. fester

fester Paddler

does anyone out there have any experience with a bivy bag that they are happy with?

2. westcoastwill

westcoastwill Paddler

I am using a Gore Tex bivy bag for all my solo trips, have hiked the westcoast trail, paddeled in the Deer Group Islands and in Clayoquot Sound, camped all the time in a Tarp/Bivy Bag combination and was very happy to go as light as possible.

The only thing i would recommend: go for a Gore Tex fabric and a tunnel tent style bivy bag, where the fabric is not connecting with your sleeping bag.

Let me know, if you would like more infos!

:wink: westcoastwill

3. fester

fester Paddler

what is the make and model of the one you use now?

It sounds as though you where dissatisfied with the performance of a hoopless style one you used previously? If so which make and model.

cheers

4. RobG

RobG New Member

Fester and all,

I use the Outdoor Research Advanced bivy which has 2 light hoops that raise the shoulder/head area off the shoulders. I use it in conjunction with a Integral Designs Sil Nylon tarp that weighs less than a pound. Sweet system and enables a day boat like a Romany turn into a weekend boat.

www.orgear.com

Rob G

5. westcoastwill

westcoastwill Paddler

Hi Fester & Rob,

The bivy bag i am using is made by Tilak, a company in CzechRepublic, i checked their web site, they dont make it any longer.

However, to me, it seems, that the OR Gore-Tex Advanced bivy bag seems to be very good, i found a web site on google:

http://www.backpacking.net/shelters.html

check out the bags there.

As mentioned, i would go for a bag with poles, it is a way less claustrophobic sleepeing and will keep moisture from condensation off your sleepingbag. My bivybag has also four tentlines for suspend it like a tent, thanks to the driftwood, it works just great and looks very much like a little tunneltent.

i will scan a photo and put it in, if i can figure out how to add it into that forum.

will go for a new trip to the Broken or Deer Island Group in June!

:lol: westcoastill

6. westcoastwill

westcoastwill Paddler

Bivybag camp in the Deer Group Islands

[​IMG]

Thanks to Dan`s help, here is the photo form my camp on a great beach in the Deer Group Islands.

I am quite happy with this setup and with all the driftwood and logs on the beach, there are lots of ways to erect a shelter with a tarp.

The nice thing with a Bivybag is, that it requires much less space than a tent either in your kayak or piched on the beach.

:D servus,
    Westcoastwill

7. westcoastwill

westcoastwill Paddler

Fester, just when i was about to give up my search for a new bivybag, i stumbled on to one in this little shop in Vienna.

The x-tour protector, sells for 319 Euros.

Check it out at: Cataloge at Bivy tents or at "military sleeping bags" at

http://herzog-camping.de/Shop.aspx?lvl= ... 0102/02-00

servus,

8)

westcoastwill

8. keabird

keabird Paddler

I second the use of the OR Advanced bivy. I like it better than other bivys because the poles keep the netting off your face. I have used it in hot (95f/38c) to cold (32f/0c) weather. The only reason I don't use it now is that my wife likes to come with me on trips so we bring a tent.

9. westcoastwill

westcoastwill Paddler

10. jagir

jagir Paddler

I've used the South Col and the Unishelter, both by Integral Designs.
    I prefer the Unishelter becuase you can sit up in it.
    Having the screen away from your face is a must. If you can handle the extra few ounces for this feature, do it.
    j

11. westcoastwill

westcoastwill Paddler

After having checked out both Observer models from Integral designs and Carinthia, it looks like they are pretty similar and if i would need a bivy bag, i would go for any of the two bags, depending on shipping costs ecet.

I have a similar modell form Tilak, but it has only a mesh door on the front side and getting in and out is allways a squeeze. the door on the side seems to make it a heck of al lot easier, thank you for your link, jagir.

I hope this helps for any upcomming bivy bag shopping!

servus,

:D

westcoastwill

12. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

I'm not a bivy bag guy for the rain forest climate we have: pretty tough to deal with rain while packing up or unpacking a boat unless you have a place to stash gear out of the rain. No space in/near a bivy bag for gear.

I'm a tarp devotee, and use one almost every trip. I suppose a bivy bag is just a step down from the MSR Hubba, which is now my one-person tent of choice.

13. westcoastwill

westcoastwill Paddler

Dave,

from one tarpologist to the other:

did i mention, that i am allways use a tark with the bivy bag? check out the deer group photo, i posted it earlier on this topic.

First thing i pitch when it comes to camp it allways the tarp, when i have to pack up again, it allmost allways happenes under the tarp.

:p

Westcoastwill

14. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Good looking camp. Nice to know tarpology is an international discipline!