Boat Build is Finished!

Batstar

Paddler
Woohoo!! Just finished rigging the deck of my Pygmy Tern in preparation to paddle Clayoquot Sound next month. Boy, talk about a sense of accomplishment. After two long months, I have to admit that it was truly a worthwhile effort every step of the way. :D

After seeing pics of Dan’s gorgeous tandem Osprey, I opted to finish the boat with System 3's LPU instead of the standard Spar urethane varnish. Glad that I did as the results speak for themselves. Thanks Dan! Thought about rolling down a layer of epoxy/graphite on to the hull just below the waterline but now I’m really digging the look of the bright finish. 8)

Only thing left to do is carve out a seat and glue down the thigh braces. :)

Here are a few pics of the finished Tern.

Pygmy Arctic Tern Build Complete

Mark_Schilling

Paddler
Wow - a fine looking boat!

If you're out shooting some time... I wouldn't mind seeing a few semi-closeups of the stern of the boat. I haven't seen a Tern with a rudder installed and I'm just curious as to how it looks.

Looks like a great job! Well done!

Dan_Millsip

Paddler
Awesome looking boat! The reward at the end of the shop time is extremely satisfying, isn't it?

I'm saving my pennies to build another Pygmy in the spring.

My LPU finish has lasted three years of hard use and still looks amazingly shiny. I'm sure you'll be happy with the long term results.

Have you had it in the water yet?

Batstar

Paddler
Thanks for the warm comments Guys. I’m pretty stoked about getting this boat out to the island next month. :)

This is a project that almost anyone with little or no experience can accomplish. Before this, I had zero knowledge when it came to working with either epoxy or fiberglass.

Final weigh-in including deck rigging, bulkheads, and rudder assembly was 47.5 lbs.

Mark,

I added a few pics of the Seaward rudder as you requested in the same link. I opted to include it into the build to provide added control during rough crossings.

Dan,

I was a bit worried as to how the LPU would go down. Much to my surprise it went pretty well as you so described in your photo journal. I must admit that there are a few spots where the LPU dried faster than expected. Quite frankly I can live with a few imperfections as it wasn’t my intention to produce a show piece. In the end, the durability and hardness of fully cured LPU factored in my final decision to disregard solvent based varnish. Overall, I’m quite satisfied with the product despite the pronounced level of difficulty espoused in Pygmy’s construction manual.

I took the Tern out on the water before rolling the LPU on. It’s an awesome boat and handles extremely well. Carves turns with the slightest lean and is more nimble than my Necky Looksha.
I’ll give the LPU at least a full week to cure before taking her out again.

I came across another cool wood project that might be of interest to others. These wooden J-cradles made by Ross Leidy would look pretty sweet under any boat. :)

J-Cradles

andreas

Paddler
really nice!!!
if i would have room to build one ....... man, i think i would have more then one :wink: :D

i also like the cradles! maybe i should make a few out of fiberglass...... :roll:

andreas

Batstar

Paddler
rider said:
Awesome looking boat. Looks very functional at the same time. Is that a Seaward seat?
Were you referring to the rudder? It’s a standard Seaward stern mount rudder with a bracket adapted to fit non-plumb stems such as the one on the Arctic Tern.

Nearing the completion of the build, I didn’t realize that I had to cut a ½” off of the stern tip in order to get enough rotation out of the darn thing. Everything worked fine in the end.

andreas said:
really nice!!!
if i would have room to build one ....... man, i think i would have more then one
Having the room in my garage to do the build in was great. I’ve also heard of people building boats in their living rooms, offices, and basements. Just have a large drop cloth handy and make sure that you have enough room to manouevre the boat out of the house otherwise you’ll end up with a very large coffee table. ;)

rider

Paddler
err what was i thinking. i actually meant the seat back, but now that i look at the pic it has a big pygmi logo on it. duh. though it looks exactly like a seaward seat back

Batstar

Paddler
Sorry 'bout that rider. :oops: The seat back included with the Pygmy kit is just a black piece of high density plastic with a foam back. Instead, I ordered one of Pygmy’s back rest covers and then went out and purchased a therm-a-rest back cushion from MEC which, incidentally, fits perfectly under the Pygmy cover. :)

Komatiq

Paddler
Batstar Very nice !! There is a lot to be said about paddling a boat you've built yourself and I'm guessing you'll have a very w-i-d-e grin on that first trip to the Island.

Thanks for sharing the pic's.......... :wink:

Batstar

Paddler
Thanks komatiq. :) What makes this project particularly special is the fact that I’m just a newbie to the world of wood boat building.

Which reminds me, I almost forgot to include updated pics of the entire build process. Here we go.

Pygmy AT Build