Boat building challenge

rickpenderharbour

An invitation to all you boat builders. The Heritage Society in Pender Harbour (I am a member) promotes small boatbuilding in the harbour. One of our projects, called the April Tools Boatbuilding Challenge, takes place the last Saturday in April, in Madeira Park. Those who accept the challenge, build a boat from materials provided, in 3 hours, using only hand tools (with the exception of cordless drill/screwdrivers) and then race them around a course in the harbour for cash prizes. Materials this year will be (roughly) two bundles (24) 1X2X8', 1/2 sheet 1/2 in plywood, 10 X20 ft of 6 mil poly, screws, duct tape. Teams are a maximum of four builders, and any of the team members can paddle. This is only one of the days activities, there will be model boatbuilding for kids, a salmon barbeque, and a boat show, including a couple of amateur built boats to try at the docks. I have pictures of the prototype we built, posted on Flikr but I'm sure a talented group like this can produce something better :D www.flickr.com/photos/oysterbayboats/89847796/

Dan_Millsip

Paddler
Sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

I've been to Pender Harbour -- it's a really nice place. I'd have no problem visiting there again.

rickpenderharbour

No Dan, I don't know him personally, but he flys over my house on those calm summer evenings. The other memory I have is of his fly-by at garden bay days, where he sideslips in over John Henry's marina to land in the bay. really cool. I live back in oyster bay, on the other side of the "gap" from the main harbour. Not much traffic here, but lots of birds and wildlife.
Gonna put together a team and enter?

rgds

Rick