Book / Guide for kayaking Washington State

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by kisielk, Sep 13, 2010.

1. kisielk

kisielk Paddler

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good guide book for kayaking in Washington State. For BC I think the John Kimantas books and accompanying atlases give excellent coverage of most anywhere I could wish to go. Is there a recommended book or series that would cover Washington?

2. waverider

waverider Paddler

Kisielk, I too have been looking for a book/ info on paddling in Washington State.
    I did come across" Kayak routes of the Pacific Northwest Coast" I found it in the Surrey public library.
    For tide info thou look at www.tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov great web site.
    Also google earth was a great help.

3. kisielk

kisielk Paddler

Tides and currents and nautical charts are not a problem. I'm just looking for a book that will give some kayak-specific information about the sites.

4. chodups

chodups Paddler

5. drahcir

drahcir Paddler

Paddle Routes of the Inland Northwest - Rich Landers & Dan Hansen

The San Juan Islands [Afoot & Afloat] - Marge & Ted Mueller

Kayaking Puget Sound, the San Juans, and Gulf Islands - R. Carey Gersten & Randel Washburne

The first does not cover the coastal waters, more inland lakes and rivers - flatwater and whitewater. It inludes states peripheral to WA as well - and discusses 50 trips.

The second is not particularly focused on kayaking.

The third discusses 50 (again!) trips in the areas mentioned in its title.

Reviews are likely available via Google.

6. dvfrggr

dvfrggr Paddler

We need JK to spend some time here in Washington :D His Wild Coast Series are in a class of their own!

Dave R

7. rheag

rheag Paddler

Another option is to join the Washington Water Trails Association. Although you pay for a membership, it gets you access to the Cascadia Marine Trail Guidebook online for free.
    You can join at www.wwta.org

8. ken

ken New Member

I have written a few guides for WA State. They were written specifically for kayakers and contain the info that other guide books don't. (Parking, washroooms, fees, etc.) I thought they were available at MEC but perhaps not. You should ask your local shop to pick them up, or you can always order online from Little Bay Press.

http://www.lastwilderness.net/little-bay-press/

There's a South Sound guide and a San Juans guide... The North Sound guide is out of print but you can probably still find it in some stores. I hope to have a companion volume out in 2011 that will cover the coast and the straits as well. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks

Ken Campbell
    ken@lastwilderness.net

9. kisielk

kisielk Paddler

Thanks for the info Ken. These look like exactly what I'm looking for. I'll have a look at MEC and see if they can order them if they don't have them.