Broughton Archipelago (British Columbia, Canada)

adrienblanc

My partner Justine and I really wanted to go kayaking for a few days, and have the chance to see some whales, so we opted for a trip that combined both! And since I never says ‘no’ to a new adventure, we forked over $1680 each for a six-day trip with North Island Kayak in mid-September. Turns out that paying the money was the easy part — surviving the trip was much harder!

Map.png

Interactive map with pictures and captions: Broughton Archipelago

We feared that COVID-19 would postpone our adventure, but it was actually the smoke from the California and Oregon wildfires, combined with some tingling nerves in Justine’s back, that almost made us abandon the trip after day 2. Then on day 3, the winds picked up and we were forced to stay at the same camp for a third night. Morale was low, but some rays of sunshine, humpback sightings, and near-perfect paddling conditions on day 4 helped boost our energy levels.

20200917_09_DSCF0191_Porpoise.JPG

We are so grateful that we stuck it out! It truly was an unforgettable trip with sightings of humpback whales, seals, porpoises, sea lions and marine birds. We stayed at three different campsites near white midden beaches on the islands of the Broughton Archipelago. We covered approximately 100 km in six days!

20200914_12_MoundIsland_DSCF0161.JPG

Everyday we saw wildlife. The first day, we were lucky to see a humpback whale 20 meters ahead of us. We had to stop paddling to let it go, both for our safety and to not disturb it.

We also met with a sea lion that swam just in front of us and looked at us several times while snorting heavily and we saw seals, porpoises, eagles, loons, sea ducks, gulls, shearwaters, ravens, cormorants, jellyfish...

20200917_11_SeaLions.jpg

The full story is on our blog: https://beactivelikev.wordpress.com/

AM

Paddler
Glad it all worked out, despite the challenges. I find that I don’t really remember the hardships of a trip — the memories that stay are of the good ones!

Cheers,
Andrew

LAM

Paddler
Thanks for posting your trip report. Broughton Archipelago is one of my favourite kayaking locations to paddle.

Lila

sbourgoin

Adventures on Land and Water!
Broughton is a hidden gem with adventures around every corner! I look forward to my next adventure there in the near future!

drahcir

Paddler
Less adventuresome than many, we only do day trips. But this is also quite feasible in the Broughtons. We stayed at Paddlers' Inn located just east of Baker Island (on the OP's map). I don't know what the Covid-19 protocola are at the Inn nowadays. Our most recent trip was late in the kayaking season several years ago and somehow we got sunny, calm weather.

Brian H

We did this trip a few years back. One of my favourites. Took a water taxi from Telegraph Cove out to the Burdwood Group, then paddled back over 7 days. Did between 15 and 20km per day. Had a couple weather/rest days in there, and a side trip. Last stop was Red Point before hitting Blackney. The breaching was never ending. We had one paddler who was 3 months pregnant and the straight was a little rough so we paddled back to Mound Island and taxied back from there 2 days later. Stay safe. BTW a wonderful little girl. I was looking at it again for this year, but I think it will be a trip in the northwest of Desolation Sound area.
28895B08-DCDA-4CDC-A035-FA6BA0503FD2.jpeg