Broughton Archipelago, Johnstone Strait, BC 5-12 Sept 2015

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by alexsidles, Sep 19, 2015.

1. alexsidles

alexsidles Paddler

Re: Broughton Archipelago, Johnstone Strait, BC 5-12 Sept 20

The yellow tube lying the deck is a hand pump for bailing water out of the boat when it gets swamped. The pump is woefully inadequate for its task considering the size of the boat and the lack of bulkheads, but it's a lot better than nothing.

Not visible in the photo are the air bladders that run most of the length of the boat's interior. These bladders have air nozzles for you to blow them up using lung power, but their main purpose is to tension the boat's skin, not to provide flotation. It is possible to operate the boat without inflating the bladders at all, so it does not make sense to call the boat an inflatable just because of the bladders. The bladders are not very big and do not require an air pump. Ten or fifteen seconds of puffing on each side gets them fully blown up.

Alex

2. Alex050560

Alex050560 Paddler

Thanks, now I see... For a moment I thought it was a bait pump:) BTW do you fish during your marine trips and if yes, what do you use for bait (if any)?

And adding to the topic of framed kayaks - I have just got an amazing historical photo of "real people" kayaking (probably taken in the 1930s or earlier). Hope you like it:

3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Alex 050560, the other Alex describes what prudent ragboaters do to minimize pumpout if swamped. One easy way to accomplish this is to secure inflatable flotation high underdecks to the framework. We used cable ties for that purpose on a Folbot Greenland II, a beamy 17 ft double, open cockpit. Deflated, it was easy to fill the spaces fore and aft, with the flotation tight against the underdeck surface, sometimes with a deft hand operating through a deck zip. Once packed, we blew up the float bags, equipped with long tubes valved at the mouthpiece. This secured the load and filled any unused space with airfilled bags.

In the event of a swamping, the flotation high maintained some stability even while swamped. We used a Clorox plastic bottle, modified to make a huge scoop, for bailing, finishing with a handpump similar to the one Alex number one has.

Unpacking was easy: deflate the bags, releasing the gear. Then when empty, sponge out the inside and open zippers if the weather is good, to complete dryout.

4. Alex050560

Alex050560 Paddler

Thanks for the exhaustive explanation. As I mentioned, I have an inflatable "canyak" with 2 sealable comings for loading/unloading and one for myself. So swamping is unlikely and anyway the boat has good positive boyancy even when filled to the rim. Yet it becomes uncomfortable and very hard to maneuver...:)

5. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

The comfort can be increased by using minicell foam to make a back support and/or support under your thighs. Maneuverability is more difficult to change. A strap on skeg may help tracking in a straight line, even a few inches helps. Post a photo of the boat. Maybe someone has dealt with this before.