• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Broughton Archipelago - Telegraph Cove to Echo Bay

awildman

My husband and I spent the last dog days of summer paddling in the Broughton Archipelago with some friends and their 70-year old parents. Starting in Telegraph Cove, our group of six people took nine leisurely days to paddle across Johnstone Strait and Blackfish Sound, explore bits and pieces of the Broughton Archipelago, and finish up with hot showers at the Paddler’s Inn in Echo Bay. We took a 2-hour water taxi back to Telegraph Cove. We even met Dan, paddling celebrity.

We paddled about 65 nautical miles (120 kilometers), camped eight nights on four islands (Hanson, Mound, Cedar and an unnamed rock in the Fox Group), bore witness to a variety of weather (sun, rain, clouds, fog), and generally had perfect paddling water (smooth, glassy, chill).

We saw an amazing amount of wildlife: humpback whales, harbor seals, porpoise, sea lions, dolphins, eagles, dozens of water fowl, and one spectacular showing of a pod of transient orca whales (the kind that eat anything). I would highly recommend Paddler's Inn - it was a wonderful treat after spending that many moist nights in a sleeping bag.

For a full, too-many-photos, too-many-details trip report, see the report on my blog.

Attachments

• Sunset-1am.jpg
    Sunset-1am.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 2,992
  • Broughton Arch-37.jpg
    Broughton Arch-37.jpg
    564.9 KB · Views: 2,979
  • Broughton Arch-71.jpg
    Broughton Arch-71.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 2,984
  • Broughton Arch-2.jpg
    Broughton Arch-2.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 2,984
I will echo the others, a great report (and blog) with fantastic photos! Thank you for sharing this with the rest of us.
Cheers,
Bryan

Nicely done. Very enjoyable.
I'll have to work on that "poop on a rock and fling it" technique.

chodups said:
Nicely done. Very enjoyable.
I'll have to work on that "poop on a rock and fling it" technique.
I find that you can have some very interesting conversations with people if you start with "So, have you ever pooped on a rock and flung it into the sea?" See where it takes you!

Pawistik said:
I will echo the others, a great report (and blog) with fantastic photos! Thank you for sharing this with the rest of us.
Thanks, Bryan! I like your list. Very inspiring!

mbiraman said:
Great report ,,,wonderful pics,,,,chocolate makes difference,,,bill
Bill, chocolate does make a difference. It has become standard issue for all activities where temps can potentially dip below 65 degrees, including those in my house during winter. :)

Great report and awesome photos -- nicely done.

It was fun having you guys at the Paddlers' Inn -- especially since you arrived just as a pod of orcas swam past!

Just one small point about your report -- Paddlers' Inn is not located in Echo Bay -- it's in Little Simoom Sound, about 1 kilometre away from Echo Bay.

Nice to have met you.

Back