• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Broughton islands tides and currents

rebeccasmitholy

Hi, friends!

We are planning a trip to the Broughtons and Johnstone Strait in July. We will have some electronic resources with us, but want to be prepared to be without cell service.

So, looking at tide and current stations, it seems the only tide station is Alert Bay, and the only current stations are Johnstone, Blackney pass and Weynton Pass. So two questions: how do we calculate tidal or current differences in other places like the Fox group, Owl Island, Berry Island, etc? And if there is no non-electronic source for these, do folks have advice about the many passages between islands with respect to currents and timing of currents? We are thinking a couple of days around Fox islands, a couple of days around Cedar, Owl or Berry, and a couple of days at Kaikash.

I'm sure others will chime in but at least for the Fox group i think you'll have no current to worry about. My memory of the areas more "up" into the archipeligo there's not much tidal currents. Closer to the straight yes, with the main problems having tidal forecasts published in the tide guides. I'm pretty sure "Wild Coast" guidebook has good descriptions of problem areas. Have fun

If you use a Mac, you can get the app, AyeTides. It will give you current and tide tables for the various stations.

There are various trip reports in the forum that cover the area you are considering. Steve and I took a water taxi from Alert Bay to the Broughtons (Denham Island) and paddled back via Echo Bay and Kaikash Creek - stopping at many islands along the way.

Last edited:
For the most part, the timing of currents within the Broughtons will fall within an hour or so of the currents in Blackney or Weynton Passages. You can just use the tables for those reference stations and get it close enough.

I agree with Roger that currents are not very strong north of Knight Inlet, including Fox Island. Currents are also not very strong within the pocket of islands between Crease and Village Islands, including Berry Island.

The main areas for strong currents are Blackney and Weynton Passages, including the adjacent island clusters of the Pearse and Plumper Islands as well as Blackfish Sound; and also within the outlet of Knight Inlet, including Midsummer and Owl Islands. For all of these, you can just approximate the currents using the reference stations of Blackney or Weynton. The only places where you really should hit the currents just right are Blackney and Weynton Passages themselves. Everywhere else, it's OK to get it within an hour or two.

Alex

Broughton is a great trip! If you can make it up to Burdwood Group...you won't be disappointed!
Leave telegraph cove at low tide if you can and ride the tide out towards Blackney Passage.
I also have a 2 part trip report from 2019 here on WCP that can give you some details.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Broughton is a great trip! If you can make it up to Burdwood Group...you won't be disappointed!
Leave telegraph cove at low tide if you can and ride the tide out towards Blackney Passage.
I also have a 2 part trip report from 2018 here on WCP that can give you some details.
Enjoy!

I also have a 2 part trip report from 2019 here on WCP that can give you some details.
Enjoy!
I've heard that the Burdwood Group is now closed to camping

Where did you hear that?

The "Burdwood Group" seems a pretty larger area. Was it all the Islands/sites or just the Main site?

This was our trip many years ago. We started at Alder Bay by taking a water taxi to Denham Island. We made our way back to Kaikash Creek and paddled back up to Alder Bay from there. We saw a whale during the crossing over to Kaikash Creek and Orcas when on shore at that campsite. Kaikash Creek was the only site where mosquitoes were a problem. But it was also a place where I could make my way to a pool upstream in soak in some fresh water.

A less expensive plan would have been to take the "daily shuttle" water taxi from Telegraph Cove to Echo Bay and start exploring from there. That's because, at the time, that taxi route, most likely shared with others, cost much less than taking our "own" taxi out to Burdwood.

We carried a 5-gallon collapsible water container on the taxi and used it at our Denham base camp. We had additional MSR dromedary water bags for the rest of the trip.

Our choices were:
Main site: N50 47.83, W126 28.09
Islet Hideaway: N50 47.63, W126 28.32
Central Burdwood: N50 47.67, W126 29.09
Denham Island: N50 47.32, W126 29.50

From there we paddled to several other islands on our way to Kaikash Creek and back to Alder Bay:

Echo Bay
Marine Park: N50 45.04, W126 29.65

Fox Group
CampSite: N50 42.95, W126 35.74

Owl Island
South Site: N50 38.79, W126 41.45
North Site: N50 38.97, W126 41.70

Cedar Island
Alt for Owl North: N50 39.17, W126 41.25

Mound Island
SW Corner: N50 35.49, W126 39.34
Harbledown Island alt: N50 35.48, W126 40.36