Building the King

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by DarenN, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Batstar

Batstar Paddler

Daren,

Thanks for the pic of the rail mod. Your King is looking great and that recessed deck fitting is a thing of beauty!

After reading through your previous post, I started to think about my own build. There is no mention in the Silver manual about glassing the exterior riser; just the top of the lip, down the inside of the coaming and back underneath the deck. Is this something I should consider? I was just thinking of applying a couple coats of resin to the exterior riser and also to the underside of the lip. The instructions do call for an additional layer of cloth on the aft half of the coaming.

I realize this is fast forwarding a bit, but what are your thoughts on hatch closure systems? I’m quite happy with using buckles/straps but would like to know if bungies or magnets would provide better compression for flush hatches.

2. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

Art;

i've taken pages from a lot of books, ideas from other builders, and came up with a few of my own. i think my coaming glass schedule originally came from Nick Schade, and i probably modified it from there, getting to what i've found to be a system i feel that i can forget about about after it's finished. it's a very strong layup and i never have to worry that i'm putting too much stress on it.

on hatch closures:
    internal bungies, magnets, and a myriad of other 'invisible' closure systems are fine for a boat that only goes to boat shows, is never paddled in anything but flat water, and never has anything put into the hatches. for a kayak that will see expedition, rough water, and camping, external straps with a tensioning system (ala Pygmy) are the way to go. external bungies can also be made to work satisfactoraly(sp). i've done so on several boats, and will use the system again on the Broil King.
    this is only my opinion; gleened from many builds. YMMV. if anyone wants to start a discussion on hatch closures please start a new thread. thanks.

Daren.......

3. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

today i glassed the outside of the coaming riser. first i sanded to give the fresh epoxy something to hang onto. next i mixed up a batch of fillet epoxy using wood flour and bread flour (for colour). i layed in and smoothed out the fillet and then layed the bias-cut cloth on the wet fillet. mixed a batch of raw epoxy and wet out the cloth. hours later (green stage) i trimmed off the excess cloth and shot the pics. the fillet turned out way darker than i would have liked. i'll just have to live with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Daren........

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

That looks darn good to me, Daren. That bias tape really lays right in there. I've never had any luck getting fillets light enough to match wood, either. Maybe meranti, but never cedar or okoume.

5. Roy

Roy Paddler

Stop apologising for the colour of the fillet - it's an ACCENT STRIP - be proud. Looking really good.

6. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

today i sanded the underside of the deck fittings to a more rounded shape, then sealed them with epoxy.

[​IMG]

Daren.......

7. woodensoul

woodensoul Paddler

Totally agree...

8. elmo

elmo Paddler

Bump!

I need my kayak building fix Daren :D

9. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

seek counselling. :D

10. elmo

elmo Paddler

I did - but the shrink told me to go build a kayak and quit whining :lol:

daniel

11. cattail

cattail Paddler

I'm new here and just wanted to say I really apprecate the documtation of your build here, nice to see a true craftsman.
    I agree with Daren using a tablesaw is easier for long straight cuts. Using a bandsaw for that takes a 1" wide blade, a long rip fence and some adjustment off center to make it work. They are great for venner and book matching if you plan to run the wood thru a sander after.

Since finding this site I have ordered my first wood boat. (New topic)
    Looking forward to getting started, thanks everyone for the inspiration.
    Hope your leg is getting better, I know what it feels like to be sidelined.

12. silvério

silvério Paddler

Looking gran.
    Cann't wait to see her in the water.

Silvério