• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Building the King

layed out the deck fitting arrangement.
IMG_0077.jpg

drilled the holes with a 1 1/4" forstner bit.
IMG_0081.jpg

dry test fit.
IMG_0083.jpg

the last thing i did today was flatten the mating surface of the shear. i had to do it before installing the fittings. they would have been in the way of the sanding block.
IMG_0088.jpg

DarenN.......

out in the shop this morning i cut out the cockpit,
IMG_0124.jpg

ripped the riser laminations,
IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

and glued in the first piece.
IMG_0141.jpg

with the first piece glued in place i can glue the other three laminations in one go. this will yield a riser thickness of 1/4 inch.

DarenN.........

Daren,

I don't know how to safely ripsaw pieces that thin, except off the outside of the stock (to the left, the way your rip fence is set up). And when I have done that, the fence has to move with each cut, yielding some variation in thickness. Looks to me like those thin pieces in your setup have some potential for becoming arrows at the conclusion of the cut, being between the blade and the fence.

What magic trick(s) are you using? I think I can learn something useful here.

I guess he stands all the way to the left and is ready to jump :lol: To bad you can't out run a 250kmh kick back :lol:

I would have a spliter in place and set the fence back to the biginning of the saw blade, that should work.

a better pic of the setup:
IMG_0129.jpg

as the stock clears the auxiliary fence the little strip falls away from the blade. all the same, it's not the safest way to do this but it is the most accurate. when i'm ripping boat strips (3/4x3/16) i also use a featherboard on top of the stock, pressing down. this pretty much eliminates the posibility of a kickback. buries the blade too. i've been doing it like this for years and never had a kickback on the tablessaw or the router table.

"This is what you should not do." Dr. Seuss

DarenN........

Yeah, OK. I wondered where that wooden fence ended. That actually looks pretty safe to me. I have been using an after-fence on top to hold stock down, but I think I'll start setting that fence up ahead of the blade, and using some creative push sticks.

the riser is now 1/4" thick and finished for now.
IMG_0142.jpg

not sure which direction i'll go next. finish the deck or put it away and finish the inside of the hull. i'll probably do the hull. the deck has a very fragile area aft of the cockpit and i don't want to break it before i launch it. i'll feel a lot better about working on the boat with it all joined together so i'll probably leave all the exterior work untill after i mate the hull and deck.

DarenN.........

:D

Gorgeous work DarrenN... she's coming together beautifully.

...having grown up in a family of carpenters, I'd be nervous about using the setup you use. Either the fence OR the guide but never both. If the wood did kick it would have no clean exit from the blade and could jump violently in any direction. My father, an experienced Journeyman carpenter with over 30 years in the trade chopped his finger tips off using much the same rig as you show. I'd be tempted to make up a rough jig/box and/or drop a spacer/strip/s between the fence and main piece of lumber to move it into the blade the correct amount after each cut.

Just airing my thoughts, would love to hear more, no offence intended. :D

Elmo :wink:

elmo said:
:D
no offence intended. :D
Elmo :wink:

none taken.

ten years ago i didn't know a tablesaw from a duck boot. i do not reccomend the 'trap cutting' method that i use. it works for me but may be dangerous for others to try. not saying that i'm something special and can avoid accidents by some kind of magic, just that i'm experienced with powerful tools doing powerful things, and know how to minimize the risks. i've been a metal worker for thirty years. tablesaws are tame when compared to the sixty foot coil-line i run on a daily basis, or the ten foot shear that will cut a strip of 1/8" thick stainless in less than a second, or the twelve foot 90 ton mechanical break, or, or, or,,,,,,,,,

hey! lets be careful out there.
DarenN...........

Nice job Daren!

I wish I could have my shop at home too. Must be nice to just step out the door and be there!
Will you have the king ready for the spring meeting?

DarenN said:
andreas said:
Will you have the king ready for the spring meeting?

i really hope to.

not much chance of getting done in less than a month.

i've been working on the hull. the water damage from the fire is just too deep. i can't get rid of the discoloration without the fear of going through the core with the sander.
i'll clean up the cockpit area as best i can, and just live with the rest. remember it's name; The "Broil King".
IMG_0219.jpg

DarenN.......

woodensoul said:
As to the ripping discussions... I loooovvvvve a band saw

not for ripping strips, thank you very much.
tried it a long time ago and gave it up as wastefull and time consuming. you'l get a nice smooth surface from a tablesaw. with a bandsaw you have to cut thick and then use a thickness planer to get the same quality of strips. YMMV.

DarenN......

i glassed the inside of the hull today. the staining from the smoke,water, and fire retardant is pretty bad, but at least it's on the inside.

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

DarenN.......

Back