• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Building the Mystic River Tandem Canoe

RobertNPruden

Paddler
Just noticed that there is a builders forum here...so I am moving my stuff over here so that it is located in the appropriate forum. Thought I would let y'all know that I have started building Nick Shades Mystic River Tandem Canoe design. It will be of western red cedar/sitka spruce construction with a few built-in extras like a cup holder for the lead paddler and potentially a removable mast and sail rig for those days when we want to have a little more fun with the canoe. I will try to post images after major changes made to the project for those who are interested. This is my first stripping project and my 7th boat construction project.

Robert (At it agai)N Pruden

Robert-
Good to see you here!

A canoe is a good project for a first strip build, IMO.

Find some boards and get ripping!
:)

Do you have a link to that design by Nick S. ?

Here is the link, John. It's a pretty canoe design and should be half the weight of our current olden fibreglass design. I couldn't afford the few clear cedar boards available but I did forage through the fencing/decking cedar boards at a RONA and found some almost knot-free 2x6's which will work just fine. Got some ash (internal stems) and red oak (external stems). I will start ripping once I get the stems assembled and installed. The weather is pretty cool now (14 C here) so gluing the stems together will take a bit...that and I am working a lot so not much free time.

The link takes you to the images I have taken to map out the Mystic River build. I went out to buy some good Sitka spruce boards in Edmonton and managed to find an excellent source for clear yellow cedar, one board of which I purchased to look at for this build. I managed to rip strips out of two boards and should get the rest done tomorrow...I have the day off and the weather is supposed to be beautiful fall weather. I plan to use red oak for the outer stems and am considering using purple heart and zebra wood for the decks...just for the contrasting looks, that and I love the look, feel, and smell of both woods. Gotta use them if only in a small way, besides, both wood types are horribly expensive

John, I will do that for you, will take me a while because I have to reduce the size of the images...some are too large for this site...some are not

Attachments

• 024 Supports installed and ready to accept forms.jpg
    024 Supports installed and ready to accept forms.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 297
  • 025 Forms installed with just one screw to hold them in place.jpg
    025 Forms installed with just one screw to hold them in place.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 279
  • 026 Another view of installed forms...they are not aligned.jpg
    026 Another view of installed forms...they are not aligned.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 309
  • 027 Of course I had to get in a pic of a pretty Blue Jay.jpg
    027 Of course I had to get in a pic of a pretty Blue Jay.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 275
  • 028 The Robobevel designed by Nick Shade of Guillemot Kayaks...miniature shoulder plane instal...jpg
    028 The Robobevel designed by Nick Shade of Guillemot Kayaks...miniature shoulder plane instal...jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 269
  • 029 Got a deal on my Sitka Spruce and once test piece of clear yellow cedar.jpg
    029 Got a deal on my Sitka Spruce and once test piece of clear yellow cedar.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 300
  • 032 Sitka Spruce and one piece of clear yellow cedar.jpg
    032 Sitka Spruce and one piece of clear yellow cedar.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 262
  • 037 I had to wear my Filson during the work...seems fitting since this hat has been with me fo...jpg
    037 I had to wear my Filson during the work...seems fitting since this hat has been with me fo...jpg
    196 KB · Views: 301
  • 024 Supports installed and ready to accept forms.jpg
    024 Supports installed and ready to accept forms.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 287
  • 025 Forms installed with just one screw to hold them in place.jpg
    025 Forms installed with just one screw to hold them in place.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 266
  • 026 Another view of installed forms...they are not aligned.jpg
    026 Another view of installed forms...they are not aligned.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 290
  • 027 Of course I had to get in a pic of a pretty Blue Jay.jpg
    027 Of course I had to get in a pic of a pretty Blue Jay.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 291
  • 028 The Robobevel designed by Nick Shade of Guillemot Kayaks...miniature shoulder plane instal...jpg
    028 The Robobevel designed by Nick Shade of Guillemot Kayaks...miniature shoulder plane instal...jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 277
  • 029 Got a deal on my Sitka Spruce and once test piece of clear yellow cedar.jpg
    029 Got a deal on my Sitka Spruce and once test piece of clear yellow cedar.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 274
  • 032 Sitka Spruce and one piece of clear yellow cedar.jpg
    032 Sitka Spruce and one piece of clear yellow cedar.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 254
  • 037 I had to wear my Filson during the work...seems fitting since this hat has been with me fo...jpg
    037 I had to wear my Filson during the work...seems fitting since this hat has been with me fo...jpg
    196 KB · Views: 289
Robert:
You have a real nice bench and set up. As you said, you have done this before.
Looks like a lot of fun.
I like the fact the canoe doesn't have a high bow and stern and you will be able to solo on a windy day.
Are you going to build with staples?

Roy

Robert:
You have a real nice bench and set up. As you said, you have done this before.
Looks like a lot of fun.
I like the fact the canoe doesn't have a high bow and stern and you will be able to solo on a windy day.
Are you going to build with staples?

Roy
I selected the design for overall shape and width. I do like the lower bow/stern...not a fan of wind issues. I am thinking to set it up to take a mast and sail for those days when we want to play with the wind a bit.

I am not quite decided to use staples or not...I do plan to work with great patience so moving slowly and not using staples would fit in with my thinking. Then again, Nick Shade writes in his book that staples leave that personalized marking that tells folks this is a handmade canoe built with blood, sweat, and tears. I like both ideas, so I will leave that decision unmade until I actually start stripping the forms.

Robert N Pruden

Got all of my wood strips ripped. Next move is to wrap the strips, stack them somewhere then get the strongback and forms back onto the workbench and get the forms aligned properly. Once done, I will get to work stripping the hull. John, got the resizing software...works great. Roy222, notice the image of my workbench showing the cutout area for my router. Got the workbench set up for a wide variety of work types...just needs a vice

Attachments

• 042 Cutout for router installation and use.jpg
    042 Cutout for router installation and use.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 246
  • 043 1320 ft of 3 quarter inch sitka spruce.jpg
    043 1320 ft of 3 quarter inch sitka spruce.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 274
  • 045 WRC strips cut.jpg
    045 WRC strips cut.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 226
  • 046 Red Oak strips cut for outer stem.jpg
    046 Red Oak strips cut for outer stem.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 262
Building with out staples will be easy. I see no compound curves. Just lots of packing tape.
There are all kinds of clamp methods you can also use. Just be inventive.
There is no end of tricks you can come up with to not use staples. If desperate in a difficult area a few small brads work well.
Adding a drop of water to the staple or brad hole will help close it, also a wet rag and iron will steam the hole closed.
A 12' diameter disc sander can become your best tool for shaping the ends of the strips.

Roy

You look extremely well protected and prepared for working with wood and epoxy. Have you thought about using that get-up to go Trick-or-Treating?
That's not a bad idea BUT I don't want to scare anyone bigger than me. I don't really believe in Halloween anyway...but I do like some of the candy...especially the dark caramels.

Back