• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Built a Pygmy Coho?

Hey Dave,

IIRC, Rootman should be close to the finishing stage of his ‘Everglades’ Coho. :)

Not sure Dave. But my Coho kit arrived yesterday. Now I've just got to complete the refinishing of my double and I can start building the new boat. :D

Dan_Millsip said:
Not sure Dave. But my Coho kit arrived yesterday. Now I've just got to complete the refinishing of my double and I can start building it. :D

Put the double on hold :D

This is a great kit, but I've been held up a little and I have to fault Pygmy for one thing. The temporary hull frame for the front section of the boat is labelled with a "B", which would normally mean "back" of the boat. But after several calls to Pygmy to confirm it, it turns out the B stands for "bow" (rhymes with "cow"), which is some kind of west coast sailor talk for front of the boat. (Tip: just think "bow forward".) The "S" one means starbucks, which is the actual back of the boat. Also the back is called "poop deck," but this is what we call "salty" sailor talk, so if kids or old people on low-sodium diets are around, just say "starbucks."

On my latest call to Pygmy they put Lockwood on and he begged me to return the kit and said they'd just build one for me, and he sent a UPS truck to the house, but I think he had seen the pictures I'd sent in and he has a real "not invented here" attitude about some of the innovations I've introduced.

Anyway, the hot glue didn't hold in the February heat here (in summer, we use glue guns to chill beer) and the frames popped out of the hull, until I forced the sides of the hull in with backpack bungees and strapping tape (which had served me so well for a surprisingly long time with my do-it-yourself airplane kit).

Pygmy tech support came to the rescue once again and suggested that I use the three big frames (the two small ones in the bow and poop deck were not too bad) to draw a template on a sheet of plywood, and then cut "reverse frames" (5 mm larger) that can wrap around the keel and sides, and will hold the hull shape by pinching the sides in, instead of pulling them in -- but will not be in the way of glassing the inside of the hull. This was brilliant!

Now the reverse frames are sort of stuck to the outside of the hull, but at least I won't need a kayak roof rack.

hull.jpg

Note slight bend in poop deck toward starbucks. This reduces LOA (see glossary in manual) by one foot, making it easier to get this thing into the fireplace when it's done. Just kidding!

bend.jpg

On a serious note, see that I have used 2-in strapping tape instead of the prescribed 3/4-in. I also increased gauge of stitching wire. I can put my family into this boat with full confidence that she can take whatever nature throws at her!

Coho Kit

I don't quailify as a regular contributor (reader maybe) but I built my Coho and Tern 14 from kits.

Canoe Descending a Staircase

With the deck curing, I figured this thing must be close to getting done, so I inventoried what's left in the boxes:
-a few feet of bailing wire
-half bag of wood dust
-coamings
-a fairly long panel marked 4SR
-a whole jug of epoxy that's gone bad (turned brown)

Re: Canoe Descending a Staircase

Rootman said:
With the deck curing, I figured this thing must be close to getting done, so I inventoried what's left in the boxes:
-a whole jug of epoxy that's gone bad (turned brown)
That's weird. What happened to it? Some of mine has darkened over time, but it still worked just fine.

Cool - you could cut up your 'extra' panel and make a little kayak for your poodle or something. :lol:

My bet is if you mix your 'bad' epoxy with 2 equal parts of 'good' epoxy, it'll all turn hard quite quickly. :wink:

yr boat looks ok to me, root.

and if 20ga wire is what pygmy supplies, i sorta don't think you'd need the heavier - but you mentioned for strength - aren't you removing it?? with all the glass and glue and filleting, not really necessary.

the epoxy hardener turns dark over time - i/ve got some real dark 3 or 4 yr old stuff that is still working fine when mixed. i/ve hear of lots of other blders with the same experience of dk older stuff working ok.

and sorry, 'B' stands for bow in jest abt all boats. you may have had a case if there was and 'F' for the front . . . but if it had a 'S' . . . - - - like you just have to pick up the basic terms like deck, hull, cockpit, bow, stern, paddle, etc., water.

(hmmm, now if you'd said 'pygmy' - what the heck does that have to do with boats or the sea??? that's a real strange one )

Pinin' for the fiords

When I think back at the big flat box and the little square one that arrived Christmas Eve, I am in awe that it has turned into this beautiful boat in three dimensions. I have amazed my friends and family. (My projects do not usually work out.)

I pretend to be the pro kayak builder, but I will never be the builder that Mark and Darren and you guys are. I just want to get Swamp Salmon varnished and get out into Florida's beautiful Ten Thousand Islands before they put the oil rigs in. Here in Florida where a wooden kayak is as rare as a whale sighting.

I bet I'm not alone here in having the tendency to get up in the middle of the night and just stroke the sides of this kit that has become a living, growing thing in my life. I'm half awake, but she's dreaming of returning to her spawning grounds. Maybe someday.

Re: Pinin' for the fiords

Rootman said:
When I think back at the big flat box and the little square one that arrived Christmas Eve, I am in awe that it has turned into this beautiful boat in three dimensions. I have amazed my friends and family. (My projects do not usually work out.)

I pretend to be the pro kayak builder, but I will never be the builder that Mark and Darren and you guys are. I just want to get Swamp Salmon varnished and get out into Florida's beautiful Ten Thousand Islands before they put the oil rigs in. Here in Florida where a wooden kayak is as rare as a whale sighting.

I bet I'm not alone here in having the tendency to get up in the middle of the night and just stroke the sides of this kit that has become a living, growing thing in my life. I'm half awake, but she's dreaming of returning to her spawning grounds. Maybe someday.

Me a pro builder? :lol: :lol:
I have always wanted to paddle the Ten Thousand Islands, isn't one of them a nudist colony?

Re: Pinin' for the fiords

DarrenM said:
I have always wanted to paddle the Ten Thousand Islands, isn't one of them a nudist colony?

We all yak nude here. That's why I'm sanding the cowling so nice to avoid those scratchy escapes. :oops:

Back