buying maps

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by mbiraman, Sep 6, 2010.

1. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

I see the map numbers in the paddling location section but where do you buy them. I would need them mail to me. Does MEC have them?
    I guess there's a second question. I see folks with map cases on their kayak deck. Would the maps inside be waterproof as well or just paper printout.

2. rider

rider Paddler

Pretty much all major marine stores sell charts, I don't..think.. that MEC does. Typical charts are not waterproof, just paper. There is also the fishing charts(which i found to be useful size and easy to read), that are made of water resistant paper(but i still keep mine in a case)
    You can laminate a marine chart, of course provided you trust your laminator enough not to chew it up and cut the chart into small enough pieces that you can laminate them.(or get the chart on software and print on your own printer, i think that's also doable)

3. Quickbeam

Quickbeam Paddler

I believe you can get laminated charts at Eco Marine, although they cost a couple of dollars more.

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

mbiraman,

I cut my charts into segments about 45 cm x 30 cm (or smaller) and laminate them, leaving a bit of laminate around the edges. These can be slapped directly onto the deck of my boat, under the bungies, if needed. Kind of a hassle sometimes when you are traveling across the shorter dimension, but the charts last a long time that way. On a longer trip, I also carry a very small scale map (not usually a chart) for a decent overview.

I store them in welding rod keeper cases (the 18 inch ones being the most useful), bungied underdecks at my knees, so it is easy to swap out charts as I go. One brand: http://www.rodguard.net/products.htm Industrial supply outlets are the best source.

As to availability: in smaller towns (viz., Campbell River), not every chandlery will have them, so it pays to call ahead to save some chasing around. Down here across the line, it is even tougher. Try to have them shipped in a tube, to minimize creases ... although a little ironing will take those out pretty well.

5. kisielk

kisielk Paddler

Ecomarine sells charts, optionally laminated. The laminated ones cost a lot more, are harder to pack in to a small space (can't be folded), and you can't write on them in pencil, so I prefer the paper ones. I usually do all the route planning before departing the beach, drawing and measuring everything on the chart with pencil. Then I just make some notes in a Rite in the Rain notebook that I keep accessible while the chart is packed away below deck.

6. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

By mail? I guess you could try:

http://www.fedpubs.com/charts.htm
    http://www.crownpub.bc.ca/

Here is something I didn't know:

You can buy laminated charts but its not worth it. The paper charts won't come apart if they get wet so long as they aren't subjected to folding or pulling. I recommend using a clear plastic chart case with a ziploc closure. The chart only comes out of the case when you fall off the map and need to turn it over.

7. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

I hear there are some cases with roll down closure which is easier and water tight and clearer vinal.
    this is one of those.
    http://kayakgearreviews.org/reviews/nav ... e/kathryn/

Useally, I copy on waterproof paper. I like it better than hard laminating, but it is personal taste.

I also use Glad brand "Press'n Seal" to home-laminate some of the chart, and tidal and current information very very cheaply. Depends on how durable I want it to be, I find often I am using the Press'n Seal.

8. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

Thanks everyone for the info.

9. NatashaE

NatashaE Paddler

When I was on a 6 day kayaking course the instructors recommended a product which you can paint onto regular paper and it makes it waterproof. Unfortunately, I can't remember its name. I still kept my chart in a chart case, but it seemed to make the paper much more durable (and refolding the chart on the beach when it was raining was no longer an issue). You could also still write on them using a pencil.

10. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator