Calories En Route

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Tatlow, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Tatlow

Tatlow Paddler

:D Now that we have most of the extended paddles behind us for the summer with fall and winter plans afoot, how about sharing your latest discovery of places along the road or waterways to get calories extrordinaire? Found a fabulous place yesterday (driven by it over the last six months and each time 'note to self, stop, and check it out next time'). North of Campbell River, about 15 minutes north, is Sue's Place on the left side of the road as you head to paddle the Broughtons, God's Pocket, Nuchatlitz, Bunsby Group, Brooks etc. Stopped yesterday due to a work assignment and very pleased to do so. I think I licked my fingers all the way home - the cinnamon buns are incredible! So too are the other on site made items. You folks in Campbell River are spoiled...you could whip up there for coffee. So what new eateries did you discover this year and are willing to share?

2. AM

AM Paddler

The Kawasa Cafe in Woss. Great club sandwiches/BLT's. Hand cut fries. Beer by the bottle our of the drinks cooler. Retro decor.

3. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

Up same way is the CableCookhouse Cafe, in Sayward, just north of Campbell River, we hit it on a trip back from Telegraph Cove. It is just a klik of the hyway, just over a bridge, before you hit town, so not far off the beaten path.
    First they bake their own bread, and cater to the local volunteer firehall. The food is great, what ever you have and all VERY home made. I ordered a club sandwich, and she cooked a whole chicken breast from scratch, fresh, and the bacon, then home made bread...wow! No reheat etc...
    the building itself is made of recovered logging cables, all welded together, then painted and voila! I believe the 4 walls weigh around 70 tons, google it for all the facts, but chow is great .
    :big_thumb :big_thumb :big_thumb
    Pics attached
    Anybody going up to the Broughtons or Jstone strait, has to hit it.
    OK Snack time, see ya
    (never gonna get slim) :doh:

Attached Files:

4. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

If you go east from Massett on Haida Gwaii, about 17km towards Tow Hill, you get to a few cabins for rent - go past them a km or so...and you will get to a little bakery on the lefthandside that makes the best cinnamon buns, cookies, fresh bread, etc. The place isn't much to look at but it's full of customers!! :big_thumb

5. Andy_Ferguson

Andy_Ferguson Paddler

Agreed! I was just there last week. I though the "Fresh Bread" sign on a tree out in the middle of nowhere rather odd so I had to stop. :D