Camera Cases

Discussion in 'Paddling Photography' started by Andy_Ferguson, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Andy_Ferguson

Andy_Ferguson Paddler

Anyone hear anything about these?

http://www.aquapaccanada.ca

65 bucks for the bag that they say will fit my camera but I can't seem to find any local distributors to actually touch and feel and size the thing up.

2. hayesb

hayesb New Member

watershed bags

The best waterproof camera cases that I have been able to find (other than a pelican box) it the watershed brand drybags. Their website is www.drybags.com and like the one you were looking at they are 100% submersible. Also they are made out of very tough fabric and have foam liners that you can order. They're easy to open in the tiny cockpit of my boat and work great off the water too. Hope that helps.

3. andreas

andreas Paddler

MEC in Victoria has something like that on display...

4. Day_Sailer

Day_Sailer Paddler

I like to touch and try things too. Liked what I read about the Aquapac but could not find any local store that carried them.

After studing the Factory website and dealers web sites and carefully measureing my older Minolta S414, I put the correct model case on my Christmas wish list. Santa delivered it yesterday.

http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/erol.html#588X1098
    this link shows the model I have, with the same model of Minolta that I will be using with it.

After messing about with it this morning, seems like it will work for my needs to have a camera on the water with me when kayaking or sailing. The clear plastic and the blue side panels are very soft and working the controls is easier than I expected. Of course not as easy as without the case. Pictures taken are a bit of a mixed bag. This camera's lens extendes and retracts with the zoom, so I need make sure there is slack in the case when operating the zoom, so not too stress the zoom servo. If the slack is then left when taking the picture, some picture clarity is lost. However, if I 'gently' stretch the clear plastic accross the lens filter ring, the pictures aren't too bad. Seems to loose some contrast. You probably wont get a picture taken with this set up published. But for a scrap book and documenting memories and events, this set up will suit my needs right now..
    Like the wide neck strap to keep the case/camera handy.
    The bag seal looks very secure and should work very well. Airtight with the toggles only 1/2 engaged. Fully engaged should hold water out very welll.

Long term I will sometimes regret the loss of picture quality, but can not afford the Olympus or Pentax waterproof cameras. In the end I will probably get a Pelican case and do like AstoriaDave sez, (think it was him) to use my S5 Canon, but only get it out to take a shot and then store it in the hard case to protect it.

Hope this is helpful...
    ds 8)

5. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

I think somebody else, probably Dan, uses a larger Pelican with his Canon as you describe. Mine is a smaller unit, an A570 IS, which fits inside a Pelican 1050, one of their Micro Cases.

I think that closure is the same one I had on the AquaPac for my eTrex, now in elmo's hands. The bag held up well for me, and I did not baby it at all. The closure is much better than the older system AquaPac used to have, which failed on at least two soft packs I had before I acquired a submersible VHF.

I'll be interested in what you think of it after some use. The Micro Case is a hassle at times, and I sure can not claim I'm the kind of photographer who warrants state-of-the-art photo-taking capability!

6. Day_Sailer

Day_Sailer Paddler

If I didnt have the Minolta sitting around pretty much unsed, I probably would have opted for the Canon a590is, pretty affordable right now and the Pelican. But the Perfectly good Minolta with a better sensor card in it than even my S5is, prompted me to try to use the Minolta. Time will tell.
    However A/B picture comparisions with/without the Aquapac are showing me how much the bag is affecting the picture. I will stay with this set up for awhile though and give myself a chance to optimize its use. (dont want to offend Mrs. DaySailer. (santa)

I'm not a pro. When I see somthing pretty cool, just want to shoot it for now....
    ds

7. elmo

elmo Paddler

That E-trex is getting much more use now that I've finally had a chance to read the instructions. Not sure why I think I can just pick up any piece of electronica and intuitively know how to operate it. :oops:

:D

8. chris09

chris09 Paddler

case for d200 and zoom lense

anyone recommed what size pelican case for nikon d2oo and zoom lense.