Camera Float?

Discussion in 'Paddling Photography' started by BigandSmall, Aug 7, 2013.

1. BigandSmall

BigandSmall Paddler

What are you guys using that doesn't get in the way? I broke down and bought a water proof camera the other day and I'm worried about dropping it in the water. Any suggestions on what works well for you? I've been keeping it in my PFD pocket but I'm wondering if a deck mount might work better.

2. dr_penner

dr_penner Paddler

3. Rachel_M

Rachel_M Paddler

We just removed the wrist strap that it came with and tied in a new much longer loop that can be attached to the key clip inside a PFD pocket. That way, the furthest it can ever go is the length of your loop, but it doesn't restrict your movement with the camera.

Cheers
    Rachel

4. BigandSmall

BigandSmall Paddler

Good idea with the leash, I'll have to try that. Thank you both for the suggestions.

5. Pawistik

Pawistik Paddler

I have the same float linked to above. Also sometimes tether the camera to the kayak.

6. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

Always tether, even with a float. You'd be surprised (not in a good way) how often the weight of the camera slightly exceeds the buoyancy of the float. Especially in fresh water.

7. dut

dut Paddler

I have a small Pentax. I added a long loop to the wrist strap and wear it around my neck. I carry it tucked well into my pfd. It is pretty convenient. By keeping it tucked into my pfd all the slack in the neck loop is taken up and there is no lines flopping around and it stays put.

Barry

8. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Barry,

Not sure I have a clear understanding of your method. But, sounds like there might be some entanglement probability if you have to do a wet exit and reentry. Could you elaborate on that aspect? Thanks.

9. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

I am also of the tether tribe. I have a piece of line which is tied to the key ring inside my PFD pocket. The end of the line is a loop. When I am using a waterproof camera, I push the camera's wrist strap through the loop, and then have the wrist strap looped around the camera (connecting it to the line). I have had to roll with the camera flopping around, and even had a real bad beat down in the surf where the camera got stripped out of my PFD pocket (the clipped pocket made for a VHF on some Kokatat PFDs), but the camera stayed attached.

I don't use handhelds mounted to the deck, but do have both a GoPro and an Oregon Scientific ATC cameras, and those also get leashed. neither has a specific leash point built in, so it has involved tying lines around their body and then to the boat's deck lines (or through vent holes in the helmet).

I do have a float, but rarely carry it. if I was to hand the camera off to someone else or otherwise unleash it, I would want the float attached.

10. BigandSmall

BigandSmall Paddler

I haven't seen a float in a store yet and will order one when I get home. For now I've just been clipping onto the front of my skirt. If it's rough I put it back in my pfd pocket.

Attached Files: