Camera help request...

Discussion in 'Paddling Photography' started by kelly t, Aug 2, 2008.

1. kelly t

kelly t Paddler

argh...... :x

For some reason, my pc has decided to stop communicating with my camera....
    I had to re-install the shaw secure software last night (with tel guidance from a nice shaw tech!) and today my computer tells me that it is not detecting the camera, which I have been using for quite some time.

Just wonderin' and hopin' (begging, if need be ) if anyone feels 'expert' enough to pm me with an offer of assistance..... :D
    very old Sony DSC-S30..... camera seems to be working fine...

I have just finished sewing a tarp, and wanted to post a pic....

thanks

kelly t

2. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

un-install the camera software and re-install it.

i'm in the process of doing the same thing for both my cameras. a windows update screwed things up for me.

Daren.........

3. andreas

andreas Paddler

get a Mac :lol:

4. dvfrggr

dvfrggr Paddler

Kelly, check, clean or replace your USB cable, I have had that same error message several times over the years and the cable has been the culprit.

I know it's madding! Good Luck!

Dave R

5. kelly t

kelly t Paddler

Not sure what I did to solve the issue, but sumpin' worked :)

I unplugged/plugged in the USB repeatedly...... Un-installed and re-installed the driver..... even thought about some of that 'percussive maintenance' posted on this site earlier !

With the pictures unloaded from the camera, I can post the pic of the tarp I just finished sewing.... I used the MEC guides tarp as a, well,.... guide and sewed up something similar. I think it worked out to be about 9 1/2 ft x 12 or just a bit under. I will sew a bag that will also work as a cover for a paddle or stick as a support .
    I put extra loops on it so it can be closed and pegged in a tent-like fashion, if needed.
    Thanks to DarenN for answering questions about his guides tarp!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Monster

Monster Paddler

Kelly, I did some USB speed tests last month using a couple of different cameras and was rather surprised to find out both my point and shoot G series camera as well as my Canon 40D SLR camera were only able to transfer pictures to my computer at 2mb per second and 7mb per second respectively.

I bring this point up because, not only were the transfer speeds exceptionally slow using a USB cable from camera to computer but, also each camera needed a separate camera driver in order for Windows XP SP3 to read them.

Now to the solution that should help you in the future with the problem you brought up.

For the cost of about $15 CAD, I purchased a universal memory card reader from a local computer supply shop. You can also buy these card readers from London Drugs or Future Shop but the one I found had slots to accept about 30 different types of CF, SD, MS and SM memory cards.

The beauty of using these very affordable card readers is that Windows 2K, XP and Vista require no drivers in order for your computer to read cards attached to them. Also, and the best part of all, is that after I benchmarked the speed of this USB card reader... I was overjoyed to see I was getting anywhere from 60 to 80mb per second transfer rates.

Given the 13mb average file size of each image my Canon 40D takes in RAW format, it used to take a very long time for me to empty each of my 2GB memory cards, now each card requires only about five minutes to empty to my computer.

I should mention too that, I also tested the built in card reader found on many inkjet printers, specifically the HP Photosmart printer, and found it even worse than plugging a USB cable directly into my camera.. not sure why but I was only able to get 1.8mb per second transfer rates.

Here is the card reader I purchased but there are many out there...

http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/324

Hope this helps, cheers!

7. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I use a card reader as well (mine is built into my laptop, and a peripheral device on my desktop computer). I tried connecting my camera directly to the computer and found it ridiculously slow -- when trying to download video from my camera I continuously got error messages. No such problems with the card reader.

8. kelly t

kelly t Paddler

Monster and Dan

Thanks for the info re: the card readers. I will look into getting one.
    That should be somewhat more affordable than the Mac option :D

kelly t