• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Can I coat LPU over varnish?

sushiy

Paddler
I want to make my hull more scratch resistance.
I was wondering if I can apply a coat of LPU over varnish.
I am not very interested in coating deck with it as I see it looks like a lot of work. But I don't really care if I see some brush stroke underside of my kayak, and the scratches make me nervas.

Dose the LPU stck to the varnished surface well?

Sushi, it should. Go with the 2-part LPU and use cross-linker from the get-go. Lay on 4-5 thin coats. However, the LPU is no match for barnacle scratches. It is OK for sand abrasion and so forth, though.

Astoriadave said:
Sushi, it should. Go with the 2-part LPU and use cross-linker from the get-go. Lay on 4-5 thin coats. However, the LPU is no match for barnacle scratches. It is OK for sand abrasion and so forth, though.

Thanks Dave.
What is cross-linker from get-go?? Is it a products name? Should the paint shop person know about it?

Sushi wrote: What is cross-linker from get-go?? Is it a products name?

Ooops. Too much jargon. "Get-go" means "from the beginning." "Cross-linker" is the second part of the two-part LPU, which I assumed you would be using. It is needed for the hardest, strongest, most durable LPU finish.

Dan, Mark, and the others have been using two-part water-reducible LPU from System Three. You can mail order it (same as your epoxy source), or get it directly from the source. I think they are down in Auburn, near you. A quart will be enough for four kayak hulls like yours, I bet. "Water-reducible" means you thin it with water, and clean your brushes with water. Much nicer than smelly old varnish or enamel paint. Kinder to your liver, too, so you can save your liver for more interesting things.

Sushiy;

be advised; you are still going to have to sand the old varnish so that the LPU has some "tooth" to hold on to. but you probably knew that already. :)

DarenN........

Back