can you do the 'roll'?

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by ruthk, Jun 6, 2007.

?

have u mastered the art of the rollover?

1. oh yeh, got it on my first try!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no, still can't do it!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. haven't tried it yet, but plan to soon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

WOW, now that's a great video! I'm going to be studying that video carefully. Thanks for the link! :cool

2. nootka

nootka Paddler

I too have problems with leaky goggles. One of the problems is that one's face is quite likely to be expressive while trying to roll; and this can break the seal. Sometimes silicone grease (from a dive shop, but pricey) can help. A scuba mask is less likely to leak than goggles (this time of year, it's warmer as well).

As well, video from a camera mounted on the back deck will show you what you are doing.

Here are some more videos:
    alison sigethy
    cheri & turner
    stu selkin
    helen wilson
    qajaqusa

Helen Wilson trailer

3. Alana

Alana Wave Seeker

Speaking of seals, has anyone managed to create a watertight seal on the face of a tuilik? I've played with mine, but my face is too slim around the eyes and it creates an area for water to get it. I was thinking of wedging strips of neoprene in there, or wearing a seperate neoprene hood under the tuilik hood. I'm going to Tofino in a few days and I'm going to have to keep all the body heat I can.

4. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

That is a challenge... I have yet to find a leakproof solution. My bughead tuilik and Paulik have velcro pulls above the ears that allow you to pull the seal back a bit by the eyes and that seems to help.

5. Alana

Alana Wave Seeker

I have the Brooks tuilik, which has a drawstring around the face and a velcro pull on the back of the head.

6. nootka

nootka Paddler

I have a Brooks tuilik. I always assume that my head will get damp. I wear a drysuit under it and enough fleece to stay warm. The tuilik does keep most of the water out of my ears, but I'll use foam earplugs if I'm practicing rolls in winter (to prevent surfer's ear). If I do two rolls a minute for an hour, that's a lot of upside-down.

7. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

Hi Alana;
    in your rolling video the deck color of the kayak seems to indicate that you are useing the same kayak as pictured in your avatar. if this is the case, did you have Brooks custom make the skirt of the Tuilik to fit the key-hole cockpit? i've had to go away from Greenland/ocean cockpits and thought about seeing if Brooks could/would modify my Tuilik to fit the cockpit of my Chatham 18, and DIY kayaks.
    Thanks;
    Daren......

8. trialslord

trialslord Paddler

9. RoyN

RoyN Paddler

I was having the leaking problem mentioned by Alana at a roll clinic with Helen. She came over and really tightened the draw string on my Brooks Tulik. You can accomplish the same thing by running the string behind your head, while holding the string tight, slip your fingers under the string on both sides of your head and pull before tieing off.

10. Alana

Alana Wave Seeker

Yup, I was rolling my Avocet LV, which does have a keyhole cockpit. Trialslord is correct, they charged me extra for the keyhole option. Give Brooks a call, they can create pretty much anything out of neoprene

I'm getting water in my ears, and If I tighten it any further I'm going to bruise my chin... :?

11. nootka

nootka Paddler

Helen Wilson rolling clinic in Victoria Aug 8 2011
    Mike gets ready for an elbow roll
    Helen shows us proper setup
    Mike almost onto the back deck
    A norsaq rises from the briny deep.
    Helen shows James the setup for a norsaq spine roll.
    Helen grimaces as the first attempt goes south.
    But then James successfully surges onto the back deck!

Thanks Mike for organizing this clinic!

Attached Files:

12. tmgr

tmgr Paddler

Just FYI gang, Cheri and Turner are working with together with Justine Curgenven on an instructional rolling dvd. I've seen bits and pieces of it (my dining room has been the editing suite for the last few weeks!!!) it's going to be fantastic. :clap: Lots of detail and very clear instructions. Look for it later this fall, it will be called "This Is The Roll"...

13. nootka

nootka Paddler

14. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

:clap: This is a funny one! Reminds me of the "pungo" video.

15. nootka

nootka Paddler

16. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

This looks like another must get rolling video!

17. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I agree, Michael. It looks like a good video to add to the collection.

18. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Yup. If only my 'skill-set' was expanding at the same rate as my DVD collection! :D

Somebody may have mentioned this already:
    A very, very well thought out rolling DVD is the offering from

http://anybodycankayak.com/AnybodyCanKayak/Rolling.html

It deals with only the 'standard Euro roll', but these folks have really put a lot of thought into the teaching sequence. It has (what seem to me to be) excellent guidelines for the instructor/helper - this is one of the strong points of the DVD. Also, a good group of diagnostic clips. (There are hundreds of above- and below-water clips; even though the narration is a bit 'homespun', the teaching examples are excellent, IMO.)

I'm still 'working on' getting a roll, but a number of things on the DVD 'struck home'. For example, they point out that for beginners, 'everything is different' once you are upside down, and that you should NEVER practice the arm/body movements 'right-side up', as this actually impedes learning. From my own inability to translate living-room movements facing the TV into action underwater, I would agree completely.

Also, excellent tips for the teacher dealing with the dreaded 'head-lifting' problem.

(As a retired teacher) I think that it's an excellent resource for anybody helping others to learn the roll.

BTW, it arrived in about a week (free shipping) after ordering online.

Cheers
    John

19. t.george

t.george Paddler

...why yes, of course I got it on my first try-NOT!!!!. The best part of trying to drown yourself is the near pefection of the wet exit and the improvement in re-entry, bailing, getting re-set, wet exit, re-entry, bailing, re-set, wet exit, re-entry...

I finally clicked with a lever roll and have it fairly reliable on the right & about sixty percent or so on the left. Last time out I took a z-rest sleeping pad and some ski straps, fixed it to my paddle and just worked a couple dozen slow motion lay overs & high brace lifts with knee presure/hip flick,(or my version thereof). Probably one of the smarter things I've done lately. I've only been out in my boat a dozen or so times but am loving it. Tried to take a few different rolling classes but couldn't seem to get into one. The video listed looks good so I ordered it & will continue my self inflicted edjumacashin'. As long as it's fun...

Best things I found working for me practicing/attempting:1) Dive mask that covers nose. 2) Neoprene Hood. 3) z-rest/paddle float,(i believe in multi-use gear). 4) Going slow motion & feeling good alighnment w/o over-reaching, (prevents straining & injury, promotes positive muscle memory). 5) Stop, take a moment & relax while upside-down. 6) Take a moment after a failure & give a solid second attempt. 7) Push the envelope on practice high braces & roll back up from the ones that fail.

t.george

20. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

#8 ) and a friend to help you out so you don't have to bail every time. :mrgreen: