Canister Stove Modifications

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by DarenN, Sep 14, 2008.

1. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

anyone that knows me knows i just can't leave stuff alone. i take things apart to see how they work, sometimes breaking them in the proccess, but at least i've learned their limitations. sometimes i'm able to make things better than they were before i started. the Brunton Remote Canister Stove Stand came out better.

canister stoves that mount directly to the canister are a bit of a problem in windy conditions. you can't put a windscreen around them for fear of over heating the canister. the Brunton stand eliminates this problem, but it was poorly designed, so i fixed it.

as delivered. with the MSR Pocket Rocket on top:
    [​IMG]

the stainless steel legs are way too tall, and heavey. i built new legs out of aluminum:
    [​IMG]

then i got thinking about it and decided the stove didn't need two valves, so i got rid of the P/R valve. in the proccess, i decided a hardware cloth potstand would be more stable than the P/R potstand arms. so i eliminated the arms. the armoured fuel line is heavy so i lost that too. what i ended up with is a tiny remote canister stove that weighs 3 ounces.
    [​IMG]

on fire:
    [​IMG]

Daren.......

2. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I don't see a pot holder. How does the pot stay on top?

3. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

the potstand is not shown in the pic. it is just a rolled piece of stainless steel screen, same as i've used for my alcohol burners.

Daren......

4. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

very clever and minimal.

5. thief

thief Paddler

WOW....
    Daren you amaze me....
    have you thought about going over to Cascade designs or brunton to work for them and put out the REALLY nice stuff???

r

6. mick_allen

and i presume the canister tightly fits just into the rolled pc of screen potstand so that everything packs together perfectly, heh heh.

7. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

yes, of course, and the whole sheebang fits in the cookpot.

Daren.......

8. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

i took this project one step further and built a burner from scratch.

the parts. base, mixing tube, and burner head.
    [​IMG]

assembled and hooked up.
    [​IMG]

high flame.
    [​IMG]

medium-low flame.
    [​IMG]

potstand added.
    [​IMG]

the complete stove weighs less than the pocket rocket.
    the burner is 2.25" tall and 1" diameter.

Daren.........

9. mick_allen

spectacular! this is one amazingly compact burner - that now can be used for shielded cooking and baking as well. fantastic.

you now need to peddle the design approach to one of the manufacturers or make-em yourself in your spare time, heh heh.

10. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I've become aware of a (small) market for a safe, compact hand-warming unit that operates on ethanol. Any ideas? The primary consideration is safety - high BTU output is neither required nor desired!

11. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

i am painfully aware that 'ethanol' is not available over the counter in Canada. 99.9% Methyl Hydrate is the best we can get.

ethanol carries a potential ~13,000 BTU per pound.
    methanol carries a potential ~10,000 BTU per pound.

give me a few more parameters for this hand-warming unit. i might be able to come up with something. bare in mind the alcohol fuels require free combustion air intake to burn.

Daren.......

12. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

i built another burner. this one weighs 11grams. 7/8" wide, 2 1/2" long, 3/4" tall.

the parts:
    [​IMG]

assembled:
    [​IMG]

low flame:
    [​IMG]

high flame:
    [​IMG]

Daren........

13. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

That is very cool Daren... nice job.

Brad

14. andreas

andreas Paddler

That looks scary :lol: I assume this burner will get as hot as any other burner, therefore what are you recommending as an insulation for underneath it?

15. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

there's nothing scary about it at all. in fact, it doesn't heat up the countertop any more than an alcohol stove does. i made noodles for supper with it just last night. :D

Daren.......

16. GordB

GordB Paddler

I really like the look of this one.
    Is there a planned "support base" for it? I'll hazard a guess that on uneven ground it might tend to twist a bit.
    Is it using a butane/propane fuel? Another guess based on the connector.

How long did it take to heat your water/noodles?

Gord

17. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

but for a bit of tuning, the burner is finished as shown. no base is planned. the potstand is rolled stainless steel screen.

yep. butane/propane. i'm using the valve from a Brunton remote stand for now. i'm tooling up my lathe to do milling operations so i can make my own valve as well as the burners.

two cups of water to a boil in two minutes. drop in the noodles and put the pot in a cozy and let it sit for few minutes and dinner is ready. much like freezer bag cooking.

a note i should make:
    fast is not efficient. a freind, and pioneer of DIY gas stoves, has done some very scientific testing of stove efficiency.
    his findings show a very marked decrease in fuel usage as boil times increase. eg: 1 liter of water boiled with the Pocket Rocket in five minutes used over 15grams of fuel. the same amount of water brought to a boil in over 10 minutes used just over 10grams of fuel. the line on his graph stays level from that point on, time wise, out to over 30 minutes.
    he has tested whitegas stoves as well. the Whisperlight's efficiency continues to increase as time is increased way out past 30 minutes boil time.
    what his testing has proven is that slower boiling is more fuel efficient.
    this also holds true, to a lesser degree, with alcohol stoves.

Daren.......

18. GordB

GordB Paddler

OK. Next question. :wink:

Any idea , after tooling up is finished, when they may be available to the public?

19. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

Gord, i'm not sure about putting this type of burner on the market. the legal aspects of selling a "gas appliance" to the public are expensive to go through. quality control is not a problem as these are hand made, one at a time, and tested before actual use. but they would need CSA approval and i understand that this can run as high as 10,000 dollars. i would also need to set up a company so that i would be protected from liability on a personal level.
    also; there is the issue of cost. turning and machining metal is a hobby for me, and as such, time is not a factor. i charge $30.00/hour for custom metal work that i take on, but these little burners have taken about 25 to 30 hours each to build, and i can't see charging that kind of money to the public when the only thing that sets it apart from commercial stoves is size and weight. there are some very nice stoves available for less than $60, that can be used with the Brunton stand to get them off the top of the canister.

if anyone out there knows anything more about the legalities involved, i'd be happy to hear from you.

Daren.......

20. GordB

GordB Paddler

I hadn't thought of any legal ramifications, nor the CSA approval.

I'm stunned at the length of time you need to make it as well.

I'll go with my first plan of the LPG attachment for the Trangia. It doesn't appear to be nearly as compact, but if I lose the teapot there should still be room in the pot set for everything other than the fuel.