Canon enters the waterproof P&S market

Discussion in 'Paddling Photography' started by Dan_Millsip, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Just announced yesterday -- Canon is introducing a new fully waterproof camera for outdoor adventurers.

- 12.1 megapixels
    - 3x optical zoom (35-105mm film equivalent)
    - Image stabilization
    - Waterproof to 33 feet
    - Shock resistant to 4 feet
    - Digic 4 processor
    - Takes movies
    - Suggested retail price: $330 US

And it looks like the buttons are easy to use with gloved hands.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More info about the D10 waterproof camera at the Canon website.

2. Andy_Ferguson

Andy_Ferguson Paddler

Does Mark get to keep that camera after testing it? :lol:

3. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Come paddling down here some time and find out for yourself! :p

4. Day_Sailer

Day_Sailer Paddler

This figures, I bought a Canon a590is last week, for kayaking pics.
    Found one at Staples for under $100. Good deal, but this news might have made me think harder about it..
    ds

5. Monster

Monster Paddler

Very cool, wont be able to afford it for some time but this could be the answer to many a paddling issue!

I found out here first :roll:

6. Kermode

Kermode Paddler

Seems expensive... US$330 (guessing min Cd$400?) is it any better than the Pentax W60 which has a 5x zoom, similar spec. but loses a few Mp? The Pentax is available for Cd$300 or less.

7. Monster

Monster Paddler

I just bought one of these for my SO, and played with it extensively. Quite the little camera I must say but I've yet to try dropping it or using it underwater.

8. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

9. camper10469

camper10469 Paddler

10. Suzy

Suzy Paddler

On the spec sheet it said it needs a minimum temp of freezing. Is this just for the underwater mode...or does it mean you really need something else for winter?

11. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

Just bought one, Suzy. Will be using it for skiing this winter so I'll let you know how it holds up at low temps (although real purpose is for Feb trip to Curacao...snorkelling & kayak... and general "go anywhere" pocket use). And the normal caution that it's always better to keep the battery as reasonably warm as possible (inside pocket if available).

BTW, as a complete side note: I priced out digital cameras while in Hong Kong earlier this month.... might as well buy here in Canada. No saving in price (sometimes higher) and a lot more hassle if there are warrantee problems... plus the chances of getting sub-standard or even no warrantee at all.

Right now McBain Cameras is selling them at $370.

12. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

I took the D10 to Fernie today. Temperatures ranged from -3 to -9 C. I kept the camera in an uninsulated, outside pocket on my ski suit and it worked perfectly every time I hauled it out to snap a shot or video. No issues at all with condensation (although if the camera is cold and you take it indoors where it is warm the whole thing WILL fog up...which is normal if humidity inside is higher than outside).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

Canon is working well; have taken it down to ~15 - 20 ft range and no problems. Rinse, dry, download. Clean/dry lens with lens cloth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thing to be aware of: when filming videos the built-in underwater light compensation is turned off and vid can go a bit "muddy", especially in water deeper than about 10 ft. We were in water that went down to about 50' and the bottom was still clear but a bit "dull".

The camera size does not appear to be a problem: another member of our family has a regular P&S Canon in a waterproof housing and it looks like a real pain to deal with...bulky and awkward with all of those extended controls, need to vaseline the seals whenever putting the camera in the housing, etc. The controls on the D10 aren't bad at all but could still be an issue if wearing gloves.

Going out on a catamaran sailing trip to "Klein Curacao" on Thursday; will see how it goes with hopefully clearer water. Kayaking here is all SOT and the ocean is a bit bumpy right now (at the end of their "wet" season...although you'd never know it.... the amount of cactus growing on Curacao puts Arizona to shame).

14. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

Tootsal,
    Glad you are enjoying your Southern Caribbean experience. I too was quite shocked to see a desert island in the middle of the Caribbean! Aruba and Curaco are like that but Bonaire is a bit more tropical.

I am jealous, would love to be there again!

15. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

Must agree, Rick. It's my first time down here and enjoying every moment...Belize is DEFINITELY on the hit list for not-too-distant future. Went out today and cruised around "Spanish Waters". Got in another mess of snorkelling in shallower water and found these shots. It's been a while since I last snorkelled but time to make up for lost opportunity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]