Canon G10

Discussion in 'Paddling Photography' started by greg0rn, Mar 29, 2009.

1. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

It's time for me to upgrade. Thinking about G10. Any thoughts and first hand experiences with it?

2. Kermode

Kermode Paddler

3. jgunther

jgunther Paddler

G10

I have a G9 and it's a great little camera, full of features and as a bonus shoots raw files. Bought the canon underwater housing and even took it diving and got great results. I don't know the exact changes in the G10 but the basics should all be the same. If I had one complaint is that they could have increased the zoom factor a little.

4. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

GregN, I would suggest taking a long look at the G9 as opposed to the G10. The biggest reason is what jgunther mentions -- the zoom capability on the G10 is less than that of the G9. The G10 increased the wide angle capablities which in turn, lessened the amount of overall zoom. The G9 has 35-210mm 6x zoom lens compared to 28-140mm 5x zoom on the G10 -- that's a huge difference (neither camera has zoom capabilities that come close to the 20x super-zoom cameras that are currently available). jgunther alludes that he wants more zoom on the G9 so I suspect that he'd feel similarly to my thoughts on the zoom capabilities of the G10.

The G10 is 14.7 megapixels as opposed to 12.1 megapixels of the G9 -- chances are that 12.1 megapixels is going to be more than adequate for your needs. Both cameras use the same Digic 3 processor, both cameras have image stabilization, and both shoot in RAW mode. There are a few other differences but they are minor. Oh yeah, waterproof housings are available or both G models (but unfortunately for none of the new super-zoom models).

I too was excited about the release of the new G10 but I think for kayaking the G9 with it's better zooming capability would be the better choice. If zoomed shots are not important to you, then maybe the G10 would be worth considering -- it all depends upon what you want from your camera.

You can probably also get some really good deals on brand new G9's -- I've seen some still advertised at major camera retailers.

5. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

Thanks for good thoughts. Initially I was inclined towards G9 as well, mostly due to its extra zoom (and reduced price). On the other hand, I'd like to have wider angle (28mm versus 35) for my adriatic trip and its medival fortresses with narrow streets planned for this summer.

What is your opinion on using digital zoom to increase effective range? Perhaps those extra pixels should help.

6. Dan_Millsip

My thoughts... leave the digital zoom turned off.

With the large megapixel size, you've got some room to zoom in by cropping later.

7. jgunther

jgunther Paddler

G10

As Dan said, leave the digital zoom off. Gets to be too much to hand hold properly and you get much better results cropping in post as you have a fairly large image to work with. They should never have put digital zooms on cameras. Haven't seen many good clear pictures using digital zoom...maybe if you dragged a tripod around and used software to get rid of the noise it creates you "could" get a good image.

8. jgunther

jgunther Paddler

G10

Dan, just out of curiosity, what camera did you finally end up getting, or are you still shopping?

9. Dan_Millsip

Still shopping. Still saving. :wink:

I'm leaning towards the (rather pricey) Canon CMOS based PowerShot SX1 IS and still considering the SLR route as well.

10. mrm3759

mrm3759 Paddler

I have the G9 as well and love it. I have been afraid to take it on the water untill I get a waterproof housing. They also sell add on lens adapters for tele and wide. I doubt they fit inside the waterprrof housing.

Mark

11. TIMAX

TIMAX Paddler

G10 is a great camera to use. Love the wide end ....way better for kayaking. Used a friends but i'm not liking the 1030 olympus i have so thw g10 is what I will end up with. I'm a photographer by trade so i'm picky!! :lol:

12. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

So, I've been playing with my new G10 for over one month now. It is a very sophisticated piece of equipment! The possibilities are endless and I'm constantly flipping pages of the manual to learn about this and that.

By the way, the manual that comes with the camera is very awkward to use; I ended up printing their on-line G10 book and now the flipping part is much easier. I also want to find a decent book on the subject. Any advice?

One of the main reasons that I wanted G10 for was its optical viewfinder. Now I realise that it may not be such a great deal, as its LCD screen is huge and very adopteable to various light conditions.

13. Quickbeam

Quickbeam Paddler

I am just about to buy the Canon Powershot SX 10 IS. I have been doing some research on the internet and came across some books called "Short Courses" that seem to be well recommended (I am getting one for the SX 10). They have books for different specific camera models, and they do have a book on the G 10. Have a look here:

http://www.shortcourses.com/store/canon-g10.html

Hope this helps.