Cdn source for marine webbing and deck line?

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by eriktheviking, Dec 30, 2015.

1. eriktheviking

eriktheviking Paddler

Can anyone suggest a Canadian online-order source for polypropylene webbing (1") and deck line (1/4")? Even better would be a place that has other common fittings (e.g. ss hardware etc) as well. The American sources have expensive shipping and I would prefer something Canadian if possible. I want to re-do the deck lines and hatch straps on my wood kayak during the off-season. I am not close to any major cities, so online ordering is a must.
    TIA- Erik

2. nootka

nootka Paddler

I ordered poly webbing from JTs Top Shop in 2012. Shipping was $15 on 200 ft of 3/4" and $14 on 110 ft of 1" webbing (separate orders).
    Webbing was cheap, 13¢ per foot for 1" and 6¢ per foot for 3/4"

Apparently the place has been renamed to JT's Outdoor Fabrics

http://www.jtsoutdoorfabrics.com/produc ... nd=0&page=
    current price is 9¢ a foot for 1.3mm thick 1" wide and 16¢ for 2.3mm thick 1" wide.

3. OrcaBoats

OrcaBoats Paddler

What exactly are you looking for? I have some webbing, buckles, etc., that I do not use on my new kayaks anymore. Will let it go for real cheap. These items are not necessarily shown on my online store as they have been in a box in my shop for years.

4. eriktheviking

eriktheviking Paddler

Thanks for the suggestion. I ordered 1" 1.75mm webbing, 1/4" poly deck cord and 1/4" shock cord and it arrived here a week and a day later. Looks good for my needs, and I have enough to do at least 2 refits.

5. nootka

nootka Paddler

Does anybody know a canadian source for 3/4" tri glides? (preferably heavy duty, I'd even consider stainless)
    MEC no longer carries them.
    I don't want to pay a $$ brokerage fee for some from the US.

6. OrcaBoats

OrcaBoats Paddler

I may have some of those kicking around that you can have. I will check today. How many do you need?

7. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

It sounds like Rod can help you out; good!
    Most of those fasteners are made in China nowadays, so I go directly to Ebay when I need small quantities. 20mm (3/4) triglides, 10 pcs for $4.50 CAD, free shipping when I looked just now.

In the US, diygearsupply is excellent (0.18 each for those triglides) - he'd probably ship to you in an envelope. I never have to pay service charge or taxes on small shipments sent by USPS/CanadaPost from the US. Best to email him, though his web store works well.

8. OrcaBoats

OrcaBoats Paddler

I got lots of them as I don't use them anymore for kayaks. Buckles, ladder locks, tri-glides, etc. 3/4" and even some 1" All plastic though and i don't know what would constitute heavy duty. Just pay for the postage and they are yours.

9. nootka

nootka Paddler

I didn't want to take your last ones, but if they're just collecting dust ....
    I'll pm you
    Thanks Rod!

10. NorthIslandKayak

NorthIslandKayak Paddler

11. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Buyer beware: The last time I got SS fasteners from Fastenal Victoria - about a $40 order - they tacked on a $15 'freight charge'.
    The counter guys were amazed (in a rude way) when I objected...."somebody has to pay for the truck that brings our stock from the USA!"
    then...moaning..."Well, if you want it that way, I suppose we'll have to put the freight charge on the quote next time, just for you..."

Obviously they have gotten too accustomed to commercial/government/DND orders where nobody cares about the price...."just put it on the account".....

12. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

There is no Canadian equivalent to McMaster-Carr? I live in a town where there is a terrific industrial supply store, so I get all my SS fasteners there, but for rare stuff, M-C does the job well.

13. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Not that I've found. Acklands Grainger pretends to be like McMaster Carr, but they are only interested in commercial accounts (where the price doesn't matter, apparently). If I enjoyed paying 50-100% more than the other 'trades' customers, I'd shop there often. It's like the 'bad old days' in Canada when I couldn't buy electrical or plumbing parts. Home Depot changed that situation. :big_thumb

McMaster-Carr used to ship to 'ordinary people' in Canada but quit years ago. I got a few orders from them in the mid-00s and then no more.