Chart options for Alaska?

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by JohnAbercrombie, Dec 6, 2017 at 10:00 PM.

1. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

I'm trying to figure out a straightforward way to get some paper charts for Alaska (Prince William Sound).
    Printing chart sections myself and laminating could be one option.
    I tried (just now) downloading Rose Coastal Explorer - the software that Denis Dwyer recommends, but it seems a very steep learning curve with basically no useful help within the software or online.
    I'm not about top shell out $500+CAD unless it does what I want, and perfectly!
    If anybody can point to instructions online, please do!
    Here's the 'default display':
    Coast explorer.JPG
    There are a couple of 'Trails Illustrated' charts of PWS from National Geographic; one is out of print.

For some areas (not all) of PWS, 'booklet charts' can be downloaded from NOAA. It looks like I'd have to print those pages, tape them together and then cut them into pieces for laminating....

Buying printed charts - from a print-on-demand dealer in the US - at high prices- will get me a mixture of charts in different scales to cover the area.

(BTW, be thankful for our 'backward' CHS that allows me to bike down to my chart dealer and buy top quality charts with good coverage, at reasonable prices!!)

I'd appreciate suggestions!
    Thanks!

2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

John wrote: For some areas (not all) of PWS, 'booklet charts' can be downloaded from NOAA. It looks like I'd have to print those pages, tape them together and then cut them into pieces for laminating....

That's what I would do. Same scale, right ? Once you are done, should be seamless use. I may have an overview chart still around from the summer my son ran the skiff on a seine boat, rolled up, for the overview which would complement your large scale, high detail renderings.

The other way to go, since this is a one-off deal, would be to find someone with the SW that will meld what you need off the booklets, saving the pasting and cutting. After all, if it costs a hundred bucks Canadian, it also saves that much kn reduced mental health needs. ;)

3. semdoug

semdoug Paddler

Have you checked Captains Nautical in Seattle?

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

5. alexsidles

alexsidles Paddler

6. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Thanks, everybody.
    Good suggestions; I'll follow up.

7. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Thanks, Alex.
    They are quoting me $36 shipping charge of those two folded charts; I've sent an inquiry email and will report back what I hear on the shipping.

8. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

John, that is the usual ripoff rate for cross border shipping. We encounter it routinely when shipping birthday presents, etc. to my son and his wife, located in Pemberton. If someone down here can pick it up and get reimbursed by you up there, saves a ton of money.

9. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

I received an email reply - FineEdge has an office in BC and can ship the charts more cheaply from there. I have a couple of other sources I've contacted. Stay tuned!
    :)

10. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Dave-
    I don't mind (much) if it's the USPS Priority Parcel rates that are the problem; I can't blame that on the retailer. (The USPS rates, like the Canada Post rates have climbed steeply in the past few years. Government tells us inflation rate is 2%...yeah, right!)
    It does 'get me' when the retailer charges me a lot for shipping and I get the parcel with the USPS rate showing (usually they hide it nowadays) and it's 1/5 of what the retailer charged. Sometimes it's just a poorly designed website at fault; other times it verges on old fashioned gouging.

11. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Been gouged by many, shipping parcels S to N. The USPS rates, to Canada, went up a lot, a few years back. Out of nowhere. OTOH, simple letters are not assessed a high postage, just about double the rate for in-country mail.

Basically, we now pick stuff out of the MEC catalog and use plastic to pay for it, or send them gift certificates.

This high rate for shipping applies going the other way, also, I believe. I wonder to what extent this shipping tariff affects purchases of big ticket items like kayaks? I know years ago, many of us lusted after CD boats, but the high costs of buying in Canada put us off ... even people who lived 50 miles below the border. Much of that was the GST, but shipping was expensive, also.

PS: this is all of topic, so I am done commenting.

12. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

My first post rambled around plenty, so don't worry! :)