• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Charts on your iPhone

I just got my iphone and the BC charts app was one of the first I bought. It works very well, but I still prefer to keep my etrex HCx in its foam holder on my front deck. The battery usage is much better on the HCx and the waterproofness is much better too! However, having an iphone and being a paddler, that app is a must. much easier to scroll around and check out other areas than the gps.
I have been checking out tide apps:
tideapp is OK but needs a cell connection to work.
shralp tide seems to work OK - not sure if it is using the cell connection
Day tides 09 is also OK, but limited.
The Navionics charts has some tide stations as well and is decent - does not seem to need a connection. Race passage does not work for me though. Have sent them a bug report.
I am thinking about splurging to get Ayetides... 9.99 but is standalone....

Wow this looks like a cool app as well. Ill download it later and check it out.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lotlwm38OM[/youtube]

After reading this Thread I seriously considered buying an Ipod Touch (without the phone).
But...from what I've read...the Ipod Touch/Iphone does not have GPS capability...apparently it uses WiFi Triangulation signals to figure out your location.

I found this on a Forum...
The way the iPod Touch works is it sends the MAC addresses (Unique identifiers) of the wireless base stations around you to a service. This service essentially sends cars out all over the country to record the MACS of base stations it picks up, and where it picked them up at and stores them in a huge database.When you use locate me on an iTouch, it sends off the MAC of the wireless base station(s) around you, and if it's in the database, it returns the coordinates, which Google displays on the map. If the base stations around you are new and not in their database yet, Locate Me will not work. Your iPod Touch does not have GPS. End of story.

So...is it going to be worth a bean outside heavily populated areas?
North Island?
Central/North Coast?
West Coast of the Island?

I think I'll keep using my manual methods (charts/compass), and keep my Garmin 60CS as backup!

ITouch and IPhone have a few differences but the biggest are that the iTouch does not have GPS or Bluetooth.

I can hardly wait until my current phone contract comes due so that I can justify getting an iPhone -- my iTouch just isn't cutting it.

As an aside, I was at a dinner with family and friends over the holidays and out of 14 people at the table, 12 had iPhones (ages of iPhone owners ranged from 13 to 77). Everyone was showing each other their photos. The world is a lot different from when I was a kid.

Dan_Millsip said:
ITouch and IPhone have a few differences but the biggest are that the iTouch does not have GPS or Bluetooth.

I can hardly wait until my current phone contract comes due so that I can justify getting an iPhone -- my iTouch just isn't cutting it.

As an aside, I was at a dinner with family and friends over the holidays and out of 14 people at the table, 12 had iPhones (ages of iPhone owners ranged from 13 to 77). Everyone was showing each other their photos. The world is a lot different from when I was a kid.

That is the reason I dumped my BB. No GPS. Around the Christmas dinner table, I was the only one with an iPhone. The rest of the family still had web-unabled cell phones. But I had to consider where they all lived. In the sticks!!!!

My daughter's touch does have bluetooth... we played bluetooth tic tac toe the other day - the trickster beat me once!
It might be possible to get the touch to talk to a bluetooth GPS...

Dan_Millsip said:

Mike_Jackson said:
My daughter's touch does have bluetooth...
Must have been added to the newer models. My older iTouch definitely doesn't have Bluetooth. I have so obviously have much technology catching up to do.

Though I expect it is a pretty nice one and well thought out!
(enjoying my jailbroken iphone that does a bit more than apple designed it to...)

Mike_Jackson said:
a little big for my pocket and looks like a regular tablet pc - but by Apple...
I had a tablet PC and quite honestly, didn't use the "tablet" function very much at all. I found that the tablet PC required too much pressure on the screen to be really useful -- and the interface was not specifically designed for the screen -- basically, the touch screen functioned like a mouse. The iPhone/iTouch/iPad interface requires a lesser touch and is much, much more user friendly and intuitive, as well as being designed around the touch screen.

I think from that perspective, the iPad is going to be leaps and bounds more usable. Apple has really nailed the fingertip user interface -- it's easy to learn, it's totally functional, and it's incredibly sexy.

And for viewing charts, the iPad with it's much larger screen will be much better than the iPhone.

Rrdstarr -- the netbook is quite limited in applications that can run on it, and the MacBook is substantially more expensive than the iPad. But the biggest thing is that the iPad is not a substitute for a computer -- it appears to be specifically (but not exclusively) designed for viewing photos and media -- a direct competitor to the Kindle and the Sony Reader.

I've been trying to get my wife to unsubscribe to our daily newspaper -- I just can't see having all that paper every day (we have a huge pile by the end of each week) -- the iPad fits the bill for replacing our newspaper quite nicely -- with the added bonus, that it's also an entertainment centre. Might just be the thing to get my wife on board with a more environmentally friendly way to read the news.

I brought my macbook traveling last year and although its small, it was just too heavy. We met a lot of others that had net books and they seemed like the way to go. Only problem is the are not Apples :)

Ill pick up an iPad for traveling this year! NOT the kind that DaveB posted on my facebook page! lol

I here ya Dan and Darren. I converted earlier this year to a 24" iMac and will never go back to a PC. Three months ago I got my iPhone and would never go back to a Crackberry. If I ever need something small and portable I will get a MacBook, or maybe Apple will make a net-book sized computer in the next year or so.

My wife is set on getting a Kindle or Sony reader, but wants to let the dust settle for a year and see which one fairs better, then she will commit to buying one and dump the daily paper. She has to stay with a PC because her work computers are PC's. That and she isn't allowed to touch the iMac! :D :D :D

Back