Charts on your iPhone

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by DarrenM, Nov 11, 2009.

1. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

I got my wife a sony reader two years ago, she LOVES it. (and same about the PC's too lol)

2. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

3. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I realize that this discussion is getting way, way off topic, but here's another video worth watching if you're interested in small, useful computing devices:

http://www.ted.com/talks/pattie_maes_de ... sense.html

Could this truly be the future? I wonder if it will come in a waterproof version?

4. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Cave dweller... I watched that last month :wink:

Cool though!

5. Dan_Millsip

Ha ha. Have you seen fire yet? :lol:

6. alexsidles

alexsidles Paddler

I have the same issue, but got around it by buying parallels software. It lets you run Windows at the same time as your Mac OS - you would not believe how cool it is!

Alex

7. qajaq8

qajaq8 Paddler

iphone/ipod touch and etopo

What if you already have the topo maps (for us landlocked paddlers) or marine charts in png format?

I have a couple of the etopo series of digital maps. It came with Memory-map's navigator software for seamless viewing. Finally they have an iphone app. Unfortunately(??) I've yet to get an iphone or ipod touch. But the ipad is a possibility. Maybe. Maybe it's just the gee whiz factor that's driving me to it. :D

Anyone try out Memory Map's new app?

Are there any other apps that let you use your existing electronic charts/maps?

Slightly different note, has anyone tried connecting an ipod touch's bluetooth to a bluetooth gps receiver?

Thanks

Alf.

8. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

Alf, if you gave me a link to the things you are talking about I would be glad to try them on my phone!

9. qajaq8

qajaq8 Paddler

:oops:

Free version:
    http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/memory-m ... 72228?mt=8

Paid version:
    http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/memory-m ... 75923?mt=8

The paid version is kind of pricey at $32.99 just to be able to use maps. But it seems that if you already have an existing Memory-Map license, this could be your "mobile" device.

Memory Map's UK forum site for their Iphone app:
    http://www.memory-map.co.uk/supportforu ... m.php?f=54

Apparently the only supported method to upload maps is via wifi:
    http://tinyurl.com/yfpzzsq

Other info:
    http://w2.memory-map.com/mmuk-frame.htm ... e-help.htm

Thanks Rick!

10. qajaq8

qajaq8 Paddler

... coincidence?

I just received an email from Memory-Map today advertising their new Iphone app. The $32.99 paid app would be for people like me to be able to upload my existing Etopo maps to my at this time imaginary iphone via my home wifi network. Apparently the apps also supports BSB marine charts too. Seems that NOAA offers these BSB charts for free.

The free version of the app is basically the same, except no wifi map upload. You'd have to get the maps from their digital store.

"Using the phone's in-built GPS the App gives real time positioning on fast scrolling, seamless topo maps. Maps are stored locally and can be used with the GPS even when you are out range of the phone network.
    Both Apps allow the upload of GPX routes and waypoints via WiFi and you can easily download and share your tracklogs by email, making it the must-have App for anyone exploring off the beaten track."

Alf.

<object width="425" height="349"><p...s" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>

11. Dan_Millsip

I've been using the Navionics chart software on my iPhone4 for the past three months and have been very impressed (it was the first app I purchased). I even picked up the Canada Lakes version and have used that a few times. Mostly, I use the software to show people places that I've paddled or for looking at places that I want to paddle -- I've yet to actually use it on a trip.

Unfortunately, the version that we all have to date (Navionics Marine: BC, Canada) is no longer available or supported. :cry:

Good news is that there is a new version called Marine&Lakes: USA&Canada that came available today but unfortunately (again) it's not an upgrade for previous version owners to the new version -- the app must be purchased again -- for $14.99.

Apparently, the version we have will no longer be updated or supported but will continue to work on our iPhones. Here's information about the new app on the Navionics website:

http://www.navionics.com/MobileMarineFA ... honeSingle

The new version seems to have a few new features including some social networking tie-ins.

While the new version looks much better than the previous, I'm not sure if I'll upgrade just yet...

12. Dan_Millsip

OK, I made up my mind -- I upgraded. The newer version has a lot more features -- including streets and a topo feature that is very cool when looking at lakes or for geographic features near the ocean. There are also overlays for Google satellite images and a Bing overlay (whatever Bing is). I haven't had a look through everything yet but the new version definitely has a lot more function and features than the previous version.

Another feature that is very cool is that you can hold your finger anywhere on the chart and a page will pop up with a legend of all the symbols used on the chart in the area that you are viewing. You can also add your own symbols. Oh, tide and current info is available by tapping on station locations.

Is it worth $15? You probably won't be disappointed. Is it worth $15 after spending $10 on the previous version -- yeah, probably is as well, but I am a bit peeved at having just recently purchased the previous version but I did think it was an awfully good deal for $10 -- so all in all, yeah, I think it's worth the $25 that I've spent.

13. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

Well, that sucks that Navionics Marine: BC, Canada isn't getting updates, guess I will have to get Marine and Lakes USA and Canada. I have Lakes Canada which is great for fishing and kayaking.

14. The GCW

The GCW Paddler

Considering an iPhone 4 and saw this app. It seems the description indicates it includes Navionics maps too.

iNavX Marine Navigation

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inavx-marine-navigation/id286616280?mt=8#

iNavX™ brings official NOAA RNC raster US waters marine charts to your iPhone and iPad and iPod touch. Included detailed chart coverage: West Coast, Gulf Coast, East Coast, Great Lakes, Alaska, Hawaii, and US Virgin Islands.

One app for all your devices with access to thousands of charts: official CHS Canada charts, Navionics Gold charts, Fish'N'Chip charts, HotMaps, NV. Verlag charts, Hilton's fishing charts, Trak Canada lakes fishing maps and Solteknik European waters marine charts may be purchased separately via X-Traverse.

With iNavX™ you can use the built in location services (i.e. GPS, cell tower, WiFi) to plot your position in real-time on the multi-touch scrolling and zooming and rotating marine chart.

Cont.

15. Dan_Millsip

That app is $50! If you click through to the Apple store (in iTunes or on your phone) and read the reviews, it's stated by a few customers that Western Canada has substandard coverage in this version and although Canadian charts are available, they sound pretty expensive ($70) as an addition.

16. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

Go with the Navionics for $9.99. They work great and have tidal stations on them. Very detailed maps.
    I bought an iPad last fall. Really enjoy using it as a pseudo laptop at home.