Cheakamus Lake

Discussion in 'Paddling Partners' started by Jurfie, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Has anyone paddled there? My wife and I have been wanting to do a quick day-hike there for a couple of years now, but haven't had the opportunity yet. As I've recently broken out the old hiking guidebook ("Don't Waste Your Time in the BC Coastal Mountains" - highly recommend it!), the description of the trail (easy, wide, and minimal elevation gain, about 3km to the lake) has me pondering the possibility of carting a kayak in...according to the BCParks site, they claim it is possible.

The trail continues along the lake providing a 3-4 hour hike, but I figure, "hey, why walk when I could paddle?" :D

The perimeter of the lake is about 14km, which makes it big enough for me. We'll probably do a drive out this month to scope it out before attempting to lug in a 'yak. Anyone tried it? If so, is it worth it?

2. waverider

waverider Paddler

Jurfie, that sounds like a cool idea, I will add that to my list of weekend trips. If you and E. wanna get together with me and M. to do that scoping trip out together just call.

3. sludge

sludge Paddler

Haven't paddled it myself, but it's a beautiful turquoise rock flour glacial lake.

Meaning, in capital letters, please have proper cold water protection if you're going to paddle it. That is glacial fed cold water! Beautiful to look at though.