Circumnavigation of Vancouver Island - a few questions

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by finnste, Feb 4, 2017.

1. finnste

finnste New Member

Hey Everyone,
    This may, I will be planning on circumnavigating the island (Solo!!). Starting in Victoria April 23rd, and finishing May 27th (35 days), I'm planning on paddling counterclockwise around the island. I have significant paddling experience, in swell, as well as in current. It's going to be an awesome trip, and I'm in the late planning stages. I still have a few questions however. First, does anyone have experience paddling through Seymour Narrows? I've paddled up through Quadra (Surge&Okisollo), and am trying to decide which one to take. Given Quadra would add another 15ish km onto my trip, I'd be tempted to go the seymour as the more time I can save, the better. That being said, the tides for seymour work out better than okisollo for the planned days I'd be coming through. Secondly, does anyone have info on the campsite just south of Robson bight Ecological Reserve? I know there's one there but I'm having trouble finding info on it.

Any tips/advice/angry PM's are appreciated!

Cheers
    Finn

2. nootka

nootka Paddler

3. nootka

nootka Paddler

There is a stretch of good days to get a boost thru Seymour
    and they should fit your schedule

Here's an example showing the currents at different points along south Discovery Passage (for May 3rd)

4. LAM

LAM Paddler

Finn has completed his circumnavigation of VI. Congratulations!!

Lila

waterjay likes this.
  5. waterjay

waterjay New Member

That is amazing! Any report about the journey?