Cirrus Build

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by cattail, Jan 7, 2009.

1. cattail

cattail Paddler

2. gpsailer

gpsailer Paddler

charlie

that is the most amazing first boat build i have ever seen.
    congrats, have fun on the water.

thanks again for sharing all of these great pictures.

mark.

3. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Charlie, that's one heck of a nice boat you've got there. I'm looking forward to some pictures of you and the boat on the water.

4. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

this has been an incredible build, Charlie - congratulations!

You have given us lots of interesting stuff to look at and contemplate, thanks.

5. cattail

cattail Paddler

Went down to the Newport aquatic center today.
    [​IMG]
    Picked up a cart and some more safety gear. The low tide exposed some thick mud. :?
    [​IMG]
    After my first wet exit pushed it back to the beach in the background where I started for a peddle adjustment jumped back in dripping wet. :shock:

[​IMG]
    In one of the many spots just around the corner.
    [​IMG]

Lucky they have hoses at the center my boat and feet were covered in mud.
    I have been invited to show the boat Sunday at the expo for South Wind Kayaks in Irvine, Ca. for anyone that wants to come by and see it in person.

6. oul

oul Paddler

Way to go Charlie. I'll come by on Sun morning and check it out. It sure looks great in the pics.

Larry

7. cattail

cattail Paddler

Thanks everyone for helping me along the way and even leading to this kayak to build.
    Today I worked on the seat bottom a little more after paddling thinning it out and rounding the corners,
    picked up some Dragon Skin it is like a fine cheese grader and makes fast work of shaping minicell foam.
    Finishing it with some scotchbrite leaves it with a velvet like finish.

Before looking here I was about to buy a very used Coho with no varnish and a never sanded
    epoxy job thinking I could not finish building a project this big.
    I did it in 100 days with your help :D

Here is my last semi-kit project before the kayak build when I had a real workshop and 3 work benches.

[​IMG]

Had some fun with carbon cloth on that too the processes I learned on the kayak will be a
    big help when I get back on it since I was so dependant on masters and molds on the A/C.

It's half as long as the kayak maybe I'll get back on that this summer.
    This is some of the build up to where it was when I stopped now currently in a large box.

http://www.rcjet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1295

Too bad that forum is inactive now like here they were really supportive.

I will take advantage of opportunities when they present themselves from now on and no longer procastinate.

8. cattail

cattail Paddler

The seat cushion in better shape now after taking a few more hours and the scotch brite pad to it.
    [​IMG]
    One thing I did at this end was use the cable swage to limit the wing wacker from occuring.
    [​IMG]
    My cat racing PFD I had on yesterday isn't USCG rated this new one is.
    Think I'll be in the water more with this boat.
    [​IMG]
    Looking at deck bags I picked this one for when I start taking more gear but think I am going to try to exchange it for a black one.
    This is the airplane hangar and has a removable insert that holds it up like that.
    [​IMG]

9. gpsailer

gpsailer Paddler

hi charlie

the boat looks great.
    you will be able to just keep poking away on that seat till it is just right.
    a little at a time after each paddle and you should find the sweet spot.
    that is a nice thing about making your own stuff.

enjoy your paddling,i am still frozen in up here.
    this week i am near the nwt boarder but the weather is getting nice.
    should be paddling soon.

10. lance_randy

lance_randy Paddler

Yah, the boat looks great, but that airplane looked AMAZING!!!

I was looking through that thread, and I just can't believe it. Are those real jet engines!?

I used to build RC gliders years ago. "The Gentle Lady", easy stuff like that. But that airliner is just something in a whole other league!

11. cattail

cattail Paddler

Yes they are real kerosene burning single stage compressor jet engines. They are the most popular in single engine models and other creative uses.
    <object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8176C-2JdQ8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8176C-2JdQ8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l_gV-UnPDdI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l_gV-UnPDdI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kSMJ5lGjyVM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kSMJ5lGjyVM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

Some with twin engines.
    <object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KlFxvUfkSAk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KlFxvUfkSAk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

The early versions we used an air tank to spin up the fan before turning on the propane and glow plug.
    Once that got to around 140 EGT the fuel pump switched on and the RPM's go to 100k+
    The newer ones like I have use a small electric motor mounted on the inlet side to replace the air tank,
    the latest ones don't need propane they start on the jets onboard fuel.

With 4 engines.
    <object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zUyR0eezwns&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zUyR0eezwns&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

With 8 engines.
    <object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K6qHDT_k0ic&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K6qHDT_k0ic&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

The larger ones I think its over 50 lbs are only allowed to fly in Europe and the UK along with this guy.
    <object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P-oQ--U-WaQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P-oQ--U-WaQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

The biggest forum with something for just about everything R/C.
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php

[​IMG]
    Earlier today, sorry I don't move in this shot.

12. cattail

cattail Paddler

At the kayak expo today.
    [​IMG]
    Caught me setting up and hiding my cart in the back hatch.
    [​IMG]
    I haven't weighed it yet but I can sure feel it between my shoulders.
    [​IMG]
    Does this thing make me look short?
    [​IMG]
    The conversations outside were interrupted every three to five minutes.
    At least they are located in the landing path of John Wayne airport and not the takeoff zone.
    [​IMG]

Sandmarks brought some videos and slide shows.
    [​IMG]
    He had a few shows I caught the early show.
    [​IMG]
    Later it was packed in that little movie theater.
    [​IMG]
    Oul stopped by also checking out the strippers next to mine.
    [​IMG]
    Both Nick Schlade designs the 20'er was his fifth built for speed. The other he has landed a 60 lb sea bass with it.
    [​IMG]

13. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

A jet-powered bicycle? That's sick...and possibly something Tim Allen would think up!

14. oul

oul Paddler

Well, Charlie's boat looks better in person than in the pictures. There were three wooden boats there today and his was the highlight. There was a 12' stripper that was built for fishing and had a fish finder with rod holders and a live well for bait. The guy had pictures of some of the fish he has caught in it. Would you believe a 60# white sea bass and on a different trip two 20# white sea bass. Very impressive.

Larry

15. cattail

cattail Paddler

Today was a clean up day finding a few things lost in the clutter of any project I do.

[​IMG]

The work bench for small projects used to be a full 4 by 8' until I moved in here where I had to cut it down to the size of the base and wrapped it in molding.

[​IMG]

The fancy bench returns to just holding clothes and the computer desk still has a glass top.

Today I am expecting a delivery from CLC my first order with them.
    I wonder what it could be? :twisted:

16. cattail

cattail Paddler

One area on the boat that is hazardous to other boats is the bow.
    I saw this used on the rowing shells and thought I'd see how one fit the kayak.
    No glue it just slides over the tip and may paint it black.
    [​IMG]
    The spare hybrid paddle also came today. It smells like Varithane on the blade think I'll sand it off and put some LPU on it.
    [​IMG]

17. cattail

cattail Paddler

I found this deck mounted compass that had lots of extra strapping on the sides so it looked like a good place
    to slip the paddle shafts of the stored paddle.
    [​IMG]
    I exchanged the PFD I had for this lower volume model. The other was riding up in the water my VHF radio fits nicely.
    [​IMG]

18. cattail

cattail Paddler

One thing on my boat that needed to be added was knee brace padding. After paddling it a few times I had a feel for about
    how much and where I wanted it. The wedges I cut off the seat bottom provided me with enough minicell foam to make some nice fitting pads.
    [​IMG]
    After sanding them to shape they got the last of the 4200 to hold them in place.
    [​IMG]
    While that was curing I put some tape and weight on them to prevent any sliding around.
    [​IMG]
    Happy knees now I had a chance to test them out yesterday along with the new deck bag and spray skirt.
    [​IMG]
    My car keys were a problem with the key fob now I have a small dry bag from an MP3 player that fits in the spray skirt
    pocket and is always attached to me and in sight.
    [​IMG]
    I also made a change to the paddle strap behind the cockpit after trying it out that day. It is now just in the front padeye and
    has a knot in the end of the strap because as soon as I put some force on the paddle under the strap it let go of the buckle
    due to the tight curve of the paddle the buckle couldn't wedge against the strap like on a flat pull.
    Also shown on the paddle is the new strup I made today using 15' of 1" webbing sewn together to make a big loop.
    It can hook to the paddle like this or around the coaming. I have picked up a lot of safety gear this week also a pump 2 inflateable paddle floats,
    air horn, first aid kit, helmet, throw bag that I added a bungee to and a quick release shackle to at one end and a carabiner to the other end.

After paddling the boat a few times there are scratches in the varnish everywhere from sand stuck to the paddle being shoved under the paddle park in front
    to scratches on the bottom from shells and rocks on launching and landings. All will vanish under a fresh coat of varnish in a year.
    Who knows what will happen by then, I am kind of hard on equipment and it's only been going in the water a week now. :roll:

19. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Charlie, it is good to see a beautiful boat in use; boats need exercise, just as we do; a few scars are attractive, I think.

Those knee/thigh pads look skookum. I'll be interested in how you like the feel of them. Some guys contact cement some thin Nylon-1 neoprene on the surface to finish theirs off. Minicell abrades, in time, and the neo protects it.

It is plain you know a lot about outfitting, and are imaginative and savvy at it.

20. cattail

cattail Paddler

Hi Dave,

Thanks I know a little bit about rigging and this is my 3rd boat but I owe the WCP members a BIG thanks for posting their builds and feedback on my build along the way, it really affected my results. I will be using it a lot this summer with no or too much wind days keeping the cat on its trailer.

Your not kidding about the Minicell needing some protection the first time I sat down with my new spray skirt it was trapped against the back rest and when I went to pull it out without sitting forward enough it ripped chunks off the backrest pads. I was able to glue the pieces back on and have since rounded the top over a lot but adding something like neopreme or a breathable fabric to the foam it will look finished.

The knee brace pads feel great against my bare knees they filled the space I needed to lock my legs in the boat now I feel confident I can hold a roll without being ejected.

Today I picked up an Olympus Stylus 550 WP with a 2GB card. It has up to 10 MP and can download video directly to youtube. :)
    Sandmarks was showing off all of his camera mounts last weekend and gave me some great suggestions on kayaking photography.